Nanibird

jasenj1
Location: Newport News, VA, USA; SCAL 2.044-Expression; SCAL 3-Cameo; Mac; Inkscape 0.48; GIMP 2.6

Nanibird

Post by jasenj1 »

Nanibird is a site with a cute little bird paper toy. There are many different "skins" using the same template. I downloaded one of the PDFs and traced it into an SVG cut file. Since most of the PDFs use the same template with different graphics, you can import the PDF into the SVG with Inkscape, line things up, print the PDF and then open the SVG in SCAL to cut. The new calibration feature in SCAL helps make the cuts nicely accurate.

Because the PDFs contain both bitmap and vector objects, you can't import the PDF directly into SCAL. You could try saving the PDF as a PNG and then importing the image to SCAL so that you could print & cut from SCAL.

If all of that sounds too complicated, you can just cut the birdie out of paper and enjoy. :)
nanibird.jpg
nanibird.jpg (88.74 KiB) Viewed 1935 times
EDIT: I messed up the SVG template. Somehow there were three copies of all the cut lines. I removed the extras.
And P.S. Saving the texture as PNG and importing it into SCAL for alignment and printing works great.
Attachments
nanibird template.svg
(9.63 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
Last edited by jasenj1 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Maggie

Re: Nanibird

Post by Maggie »

Yours techno dude is so cool! Great work! I'm new to the whole print and cut thing, but this gets my dreaming! Thanks for sharing!