Cameo users: Do I need Studio?

For your help and questions
ptpulley

Cameo users: Do I need Studio?

Post by ptpulley »

Hi all,
I haven't been here in a long time, other than lurking once in a while. ;) I have had a little Cricut personal machine for years, and I recently upgraded to a new Cameo. I am excited to begin using it. But that brings me to my question. I use and like SCAL and have a lot of .svg and scal files, which I want to be able to continue using. On the other hand, my new Cameo came with a lot of free file downloads, which come as .studio files. I know that the free version of Studio will not open .svg files, so I am considering purchasing the upgrade to the Design Edition of Studio, which will. I don't look forward to having to learn a new software, or to have files in multiple formats that I will have to use different software with, but I'm guessing I would be sorry if I didn't.

So Cameo users, what do you think? Do you like the Studio Designer Edition software? Is it fairly user friendly, and easy to design your files in? Should I do it? I'd love your advice. Thanks so much!
I use a BabyBug, SCAL2.
Please use my files for personal use only.
talanhart

Re: Cameo users: Do I need Studio?

Post by talanhart »

I have the upgraded version of the Studio software and SCAL. I have used SCAL almost exclusively with my CAMEO. I think I used the Studio software 2-3 times. To be honest, I didn't really learn how to use it because I use SCAL, so I'm not sure if I would like it better or not. For what files you received for free, do you think it's really worth it to buy the Studio software?
Todd
ptpulley

Post by ptpulley »

I understand what you're saying and that's what's holding me back from the upgrade. I'm afraid I will stick with what I know and am familiar with, and it won't get used. I guess I can hold off and see whether I feel a need to buy it later. Thanks for your input.
I use a BabyBug, SCAL2.
Please use my files for personal use only.
pastda3

Post by pastda3 »

Like Todd, I also the the Designer Edition of the Silhouette software, but I also continue to use SCAL. Like any new software, there's some learning to do, but I just haven't gotten around to it. On a different note, there are ways to convert SVGs to dxf files (the kind Silhouette uses without having the DE version). Here are a couple of tutorials. I have never tried it, but maybe if you get adventurous, you can give it a go. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnujvaEaB2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIKNM969FKc

BTW you will need to download Inkscape. It's a free program.
SCAL1, SCAL2 V2.044, SCAL3. SCAL4 XPsp3, Windows 7, Windows 10-64 bit, Ink.46, Cricut E, Silhouette Cameo
***My files are not to be sold and are for personal use only.***
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

I have been converting my files to dxf for the basic edition, straight lines work better than curves. Let me know if you want to do this and have any questions.

I really dislike using the basic edition though, the lack of layers drives me crazy! I found the Designer Edition for a good price, is it pretty much the same as the basic version with the addition of layers and svg capability?