Alphabetti Lattice

Louise-Paisley

Alphabetti Lattice

Post by Louise-Paisley »

Here is a challenge for your cutter, please note I have NOT cut this so someone here will have to be the Guinea-pig..

It is an alphabet panel you can use to create a lattice with, probably other things too if you wish. This is what it looks like sort of, this is inverted to show what you will end up with so the file does not look exactly the same.. You will see why later..
alphabetti.png
alphabetti.png (38.46 KiB) Viewed 3842 times
This is how you would use it to create an oval (or whatever shape you wish) lattice panel in a card front..
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (98.43 KiB) Viewed 3842 times
And here is the actual SVG file..
alphabetti.svg
(42.45 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
If anyone cuts this please let me know how you get on, I don't have time to set up the cutter and test cut, I should be working LOLOL
Software: Windows 7 (64 bit) - SCAL 3 - Inkscape - Illustrator CS4 - Signcut Pro
Cutter 1: Blackcat Cougar 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
Cutter 2: Phoenix Silver Bullet Pro 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
Louise-Paisley

Re: Alphabetti Lattice

Post by Louise-Paisley »

here is an SCAL3 file if that is better
alphabetti.scut3
(188.99 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
Software: Windows 7 (64 bit) - SCAL 3 - Inkscape - Illustrator CS4 - Signcut Pro
gj1

Post by gj1 »

Thanks very much...very creative!
I may cut this, but not sure if it will be today.
Thanks again for your work!!!
My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.
gj1

Post by gj1 »

Is the card front got an oval removed or is it just a rectangle when you do exclusion...I have always done this process in a tooo long round about way, I think...you have shown it to look much more simple to accomplish...thanks for the instructions!!!
Louise-Paisley

Post by Louise-Paisley »

gj1 wrote:Is the card front got an oval removed or is it just a rectangle when you do exclusion...I have always done this process in a tooo long round about way, I think...you have shown it to look much more simple to accomplish...thanks for the instructions!!!

Just a rectangle.. Create the shape you wish to use as the aperture (I used oval but it can be any solid shape) and position over the lattice panel, then use path->intersection.. That crops the panel to the shape of the aperture.

Then you just position the cropped panel on your card wherever you want the panel, select both an use path->exclude - That then cuts the lattice out of the base card.
gj1

Post by gj1 »

I am going to try right now..thanks!
Louise-Paisley

Post by Louise-Paisley »

this is a test cut done by someone over on blackcatforumuk as you can see very different..
alphabetti.jpg
alphabetti.jpg (263.38 KiB) Viewed 3805 times
gj1

Post by gj1 »

I broke it apart after I made it, so I could hide the outline cut, and then cut it last, so the design would not pull off the mat. Maybe that is when it happened...I did not know...lol...oh, I am still such a beginner! I will try again, soon.

photo removed.
Louise-Paisley

Post by Louise-Paisley »

gj1 wrote:I broke it apart after I made it, so I could hide the outline cut, and then cut it last, so the design would not pull off the mat. Maybe that is when it happened...I did not know...lol...oh, I am still such a beginner! I will try again, soon.
You do not need to, there is no reason to break it apart just follow these steps in order...

1) You load up the alphabetti file
2) Make the shape that is going to be the aperture (I used an oval, but any solid shape will do, it CAN'T have any holes in it such as a letter O has)
3) Position the aperture shape over the alphabetti object
4) Select both the alphabetti and the aperture and use Path->Intersection (now the alphabetti is cropped to the aperture)
5) Create your card front (or whatever you want the lattice on) and position the object created in (4) in place on the card
6) Select the card and the lattice object and use Path->Exclude

That will cut out the bits and leave the letters, what yours has done is cut out the letters and left the bits so the middle of the ABDI(middle of the dot)OPQR are all also missing resulting in it not being actual text any more.

There are other ways of arriving at the same destination but this is the way I have always done it, if you are used to the other ways it might be a bit confusing but just follow the steps 123.. and you will see ;)
Louise-Paisley

Post by Louise-Paisley »

I see now the problem..

because you cut it smaller it has missed some of the detail which defines letters, and the fact that the back card is darker than the front also makes it appear inverted..

I think it would maybe be better to keep the panel full size but make the aperture smaller.. So there are less letters in the lattice but they are larger if you see what I mean - use less of the panel to create the aperture. Shrinking the size of the letters is making them too small to cut cleanly