Inkscape carry along version

General discussion about Inkscape
balletcostumemom

Inkscape carry along version

Post by balletcostumemom »

Someone back a while ago, mentioned a link to an Inkscape Lite or something similar that you could take along on a flash drive. I can't seem to find that topic mostly because the search engine now says Inkscape is too common a phrase to search unless it's with a string of commands. Help would be appreciated.
Windows XP, SCAL 2.102, Inkscape 0.47
Butterfly

Re: Inkscape carry along version

Post by Butterfly »

I recall reading that as well, But I can't remember where or when either but I will keep thinking
Scrappin My Way Through
Going Where I Please and Pleasing Where I Go

Windows XP, Expression, SCAL 2.041, Inkscape 47
http://darliciouscreations.weebly.com/
lylacfey

Post by lylacfey »

Here are two versions of Portable Inkscape. John Haller's official SourceForge Inkscape:

http://portableapps.com/apps/graphics_p ... e_portable

All release notes, updates and details are included in this page.

I use this version:

http://www.winpenpack.com/en/download.php?view.40

It is an Italian site but has English translations. Don't worry Inkscape is in English. :) They are an Italian developer team for portable freeware. They have been around forever. They make excellent portable software.

Both Inkscape links I have included are excellent. I don't think there is a difference between one or the other. I do think WinPenPack's Inkscape loads faster on my system. John's Inkscape can run faster on your system.

My computer is 98% percent portable. I have been doing portable freeware since it began. I even make my own. I hope this helps.
Sallyscrapper

Post by Sallyscrapper »

Lylacfey, can you share how you go about making your own portable software.

Thank you,

Sally
lylacfey

Post by lylacfey »

Hi Sally! You will need a few tools. Here's a really good tutorial: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/create-por ... ash-drive/

PortableFreeware is another good resource: www.portablefreeware.com. They have a good forum.

I have a small migraine tonight so I didn't want to miss any steps so I thought tutorials were easier. I love Universal Extract. I use it for everything. Some programs can not be made portable. Design Studio yes and no. I made it portable but updating the cartridges I couldn't get it to do that. I might be missing something too. Of course driver's are another one.

I also use ExtractNow to unpack all my applications. A lot of people are very big fans of ThinInstall. I usually skip that since I tend to stay away from bloatware in the first place.

You will need NotePad or a text editor so you can change your INI files or write a new code to be put in the application folder.

I hope that helps. Any questions just let me know.
balletcostumemom

Post by balletcostumemom »

I LOVE my portable Inkscape, thank you for putting the links back up. I'm able to take it to work and use it when the work is done. Luckily I sell decals where I work, so my boss is okay with me working on decals when it's slow.

Can SCAL be made into a portable app? I don't own a laptop but my husband keeps his work laptop at the house most days, so being able to run SCAL and cut on the Cricut from a portable version would be fabulous since more and more the kids need the desktop when I need to cut!
Windows XP, SCAL 2.102, Inkscape 0.47
lylacfey

Post by lylacfey »

I don't know if SCAL can be made portable. I usually work only with Freeware and permission from the authors of the programs. I have SCAL set up on my driver Ghost copy as an installed version. I bet Todd would know or it wouldn't hurt to ask. SCAL portable would be great. I think Todd would have to code it so the registration could be kept intact and safe. Does that help any?