what do I put on the back of transfer paper

For your help and questions
glovekelly

what do I put on the back of transfer paper

Post by glovekelly »

I bought a roll of transfer paper from signwherehouse.com The 100 yard roll (I am making company signs for my husbands work trucks, using oracle 651 as suggested by members of this board). My problem is it doesn't have any backing. Its like a giant roll of tape. I tried using wax paper and after about two days when I went to pull it off it left paper fibers on the vinyl, making it not sticky. This only happened on about half of them and I realized there was a right and a wrong side of the wax paper. I am wondering if there is something better to put on the sticky side of the transfer paper. Thanks!
firstcut

Re: what do I put on the back of transfer paper

Post by firstcut »

Hmmm, not sure why you are putting anything on the back of the transfer paper other than the weeded vinyl still on its backing. I think empty backing would probably be the best thing if you had to put something on it. Parchment paper (in the plastic and foil wrap section of the grocery store) would probably work, too. I was thinking of sharing some of my transfer tape with a friend and I was just going to roll it around a paper towel tube and sacrifice the part that contacted the cardboard.
TheresaTT

Post by TheresaTT »

i don't think i understand the ? either. after you peel off what is not needed on the sign - the lettering and all should still be on the vinyl backing- lay your tape over what is left ( your logo,words,etc.) and let the back of the vinyl paper be the backing till you are ready to peel that and apply. Make sense? hope that is what u wanted.
Theresa
Windows 7, Scal 2.044( to use with my E ) , Expression, Inkscape 9, USCutter SC series cutter, Scal 4... Pro
balletcostumemom

Post by balletcostumemom »

Not sure how you're trying to do it from your description. But here is a video to show how you should be trying to do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaxG5sR_ ... re=related
Windows XP, SCAL 2.102, Inkscape 0.47
DogCarbon
Location: Amish Country, PA... using SCAL3, Vista, ink 0.46 with my Cameo. Trying to learn alll that I can.

Post by DogCarbon »

I think what she is trying to say is the vinyl has no backing. The vinyl is like a big roll of tape. So she is placing the vinyl on the wax paper so it has a backing.
glovekelly

Post by glovekelly »

Sorry about not being clear. The transfer paper you buy like from cricut has a clear cover on the sticky side that you keep over the vinyl it until you are ready to use it. After I get the vinyl onto the transfer paper what to i put over the sticky side of the vinyl. Has anyone used this type of bulk vinyl?
Thanks
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

Actually it is much more common to have the tape style than the kind with backing; and like Teresa and I mentioned, you put the transfer tape over the vinyl while it is still on *its* backing. Or if you have some other way to do it then just reuse the backing that came with the transfer tape.
There are some good videos at http://www.myvinyldesigner.com that might help you understand what we are saying.
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Post by Sweetness4713 »

Have you tried freezer paper?? It has a glossy side and a dull side.. the glossy side is like a waxy texture which doesn't allow any frost to form on meat.. But I"m sure this will be great for your vinyl as well.. just test a small piece first.. Or even what you can do if you have a spare mat that is worn of the glue on it just remove the rest of the sticky finishing on the mat with goo be gone or elmers glue remover and use that for your mat and place your sticky side of your vinyl down on the mat..
balletcostumemom

Post by balletcostumemom »

I"m not sure I have the same Cricut vinyl as you. But I think you are not understanding how transfer paper is used. With transfer paper, you use your cricut to cut your design. Then you weed your design by peeling the excess vinyl off of it's own backing. But you leave the desired design ON it's own backing. Then you take the Cricut vinyl and peel off the top paper liner which has sticky on the back. It will leave you with a piece of paper that you just move to the side. You then take the STICKY part and lay it over what's left when you weeded the vinyl which should have been your design still stuck to it's original backing. You smooth that over with your squeegy. Now you have a sandwich of Cricut Transfer paper, your vinyl design and the vinyl's original backing. You leave it that way until you're ready to use it. When you're ready to use it, you peel off the transfer tape backing and place the transfer tape (with your vinyl design already stuck to is) where you want it to go. Squeegy again and the vinyl design should now be on the surface you're applying it to.

Are the videos not helping? It sounds to me like you are not weeding your vinyl correctly and are hand placing your design on the top of the transfer tape.
Windows XP, SCAL 2.102, Inkscape 0.47
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Post by Sweetness4713 »

I'm thinking what she means is like a roll of scotch tape when you unroll the tape there is not paper covering that sticky part.. She wants to be able to cover that sticky part so she can place that face up on her mat instead of down then peel that paper back of and place it on her project. If she could place a photo of the tape perhaps we can help her better..