SCAL for other machines

Tell us the features you want to see in Sure Cuts A Lot
Lynncat

SCAL for other machines

Post by Lynncat »

It seems like the other guy is taking over the market for all the new machines. I WILL be buying a new cutter as soon as I can afford it. It might be an ecraft, however I've seen a couple others I might like to buy instead. However, I find SCAL so much easier to use and would be sad if I couldn't use it, is there any plans in the works for use with some of the other machines?
Butterfly

Re: SCAL for other machines

Post by Butterfly »

It works with Craftrobo AKA Silhouette they are not too bad on the prices as a matter of fact I think it is the least expensive one out there right now
http://www.uscutter.com/CraftRobo-Silhouette_c_311.html

you can read up on it here at this link $179.00 is a pretty good start up price I think this is the direction I am going they are a good cutter from every thing i have heard
Scrappin My Way Through
Going Where I Please and Pleasing Where I Go

Windows XP, Expression, SCAL 2.041, Inkscape 47
http://darliciouscreations.weebly.com/
balletcostumemom

Post by balletcostumemom »

The one that's $179 only handles paper 8.5 inches wide and cuts less than that width.
Windows XP, SCAL 2.102, Inkscape 0.47
lylacfey

Post by lylacfey »

It does work with the Gazelle too.
jasenj1
Location: Newport News, VA, USA; SCAL 2.044-Expression; SCAL 3-Cameo; Mac; Inkscape 0.48; GIMP 2.6

Post by jasenj1 »

Lynncat wrote:It seems like the other guy is taking over the market for all the new machines.
My understanding is that most of the other machines already come with their own software. So the market for third-party software is probably much smaller. You'd have to compete based on ease of use or features the original software does not have.

There's probably a decent market of people "moving up" from the Cricut to the more expensive cutters, and now people ditching the Cricut in disgust.
I WILL be buying a new cutter as soon as I can afford it. It might be an ecraft, however I've seen a couple others I might like to buy instead. However, I find SCAL so much easier to use and would be sad if I couldn't use it, is there any plans in the works for use with some of the other machines?
I think this is going to be very interesting (to me, at least) to see how things play out. I like that SCAL is supporting other machines and hope they can keep it up. There seems to be a pretty big community of SVG based die cutting. SCAL is pretty good for serving that market.

- Jasen.
jasenj1
Location: Newport News, VA, USA; SCAL 2.044-Expression; SCAL 3-Cameo; Mac; Inkscape 0.48; GIMP 2.6

Post by jasenj1 »

balletcostumemom wrote:The one that's $179 only handles paper 8.5 inches wide and cuts less than that width.
Yeah, that's going to be a hard decision for me if things go badly for SCAL. I really like using 12" paper. But most of the print & cut stuff I've been drawn to is A4 or letter sized, so 8.5" wouldn't be too bad. And I really like the Silhouette's optical registration. I haven't seen any other cutters that have that.

I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned Sizzix's eclips. I've heard and seen very little about it since its introduction.

- Jasen.
scrpbooklady

Post by scrpbooklady »

From what I've been able to figure out, the eclips seems to also be a cartridge based system with pretty much the same limitations as the Cricut.
lylacfey

Post by lylacfey »

I think this is going to be very interesting (to me, at least) to see how things play out. I like that SCAL is supporting other machines and hope they can keep it up. There seems to be a pretty big community of SVG based die cutting. SCAL is pretty good for serving that market.

- Jasen.
You hit the nail on the head. SVG's are here to stay. Actually they have always been around. :) The die cutting industry used their own formats such as GSD & WPC. SCAL & Inkscape made SVG's popular. I guess you can argue that the CraftRobo did in the early days too. I don't want to get barked at by die cutting historians, lol. Most of the software programs that come with your cutter will not open SVG's. That is very frustrating. Silhouette Studio I can use DXF, GSD & Studio files. Funtime I have to use DXF, AI, EPS, WPC files. Both of these softwares no SVG import functions. It's very frustrating since SVG is like the Jpeg of the Vector world.

Eclips is a cartridge base system. There was talk of them introducing software to cut your own fonts. I don't really follow the Eclips so I don't know the latest news.