Help designing vinyl in inkscape to cut in scal

General discussion about Inkscape
sunnshinne352

Help designing vinyl in inkscape to cut in scal

Post by sunnshinne352 »

I just downloaded inkscape today and am familiarizing myself with it and I keep getting frustrated with some funny issues.

After reading through different people's issues on the forums I've figured out how to design a phrase in inkscape, specify which words I want in separate layers to cut in different colors, change the text to paths, and save as an svg to import into scal.

Things I need help with:

How do I separate those layers I created in inkscape once I've imported my design into scal so I can cut one layer in one color and then cut the second in another color without having to save each layer separately and open them at different times in scal? (example, a vinyl wall quote, I want most of the words in black, but I'd like to be able to cut two larger words in red.)

Another issue I'm having is that my font isn't coming out exactly in scal as it was shown in inkscape (example: using times new roman in lower case letters, once imported into scal the t's aren't completely crossed, only crossed on the left side of the letter and the - doesn't go all the way through the letter, weird.)

Also, is there anyway to make changes or edit text that was designed in inkscape once it's been imported into scal or do I have to save multiple copies in inkscape (because once I've changed text to paths I can't change font style, size, etc?) Then go into inkscape, make my changes on my copy that hasn't been changed to paths, change to paths, save, and import into scal?

I have the feeling I'm missing some really basic principles because this seems like a lot more work than it should have to be for the simple changes I'm wanting to make.

Thanks in advance for any, and as much help as I can get. Also, please keep in mind that I'm not very familiar with the language of inkscape (uh, paths, bitmaps...?) and explain in the most basic language possible.

Christen
Butterfly

Re: Help designing vinyl in inkscape to cut in scal

Post by Butterfly »

I have not been able to do much with inkscape either but the little I do know has come from here she has some really good tutorials. I just haven't had the patients yet http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
There are also tutorials that might help at the bottem of the index page here on this site
Scrappin My Way Through
Going Where I Please and Pleasing Where I Go

Windows XP, Expression, SCAL 2.041, Inkscape 47
http://darliciouscreations.weebly.com/
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

The answers to your questions depend on if you are using SCAL1 or SCAL2. I will assume that you have SCAL2.
sunnshinne352 wrote:How do I separate those layers I created in inkscape once I've imported my design into scal so I can cut one layer in one color and then cut the second in another color without having to save each layer separately and open them at different times in scal? (example, a vinyl wall quote, I want most of the words in black, but I'd like to be able to cut two larger words in red.)
If you made the artwork in Inkscape and you have SCAL2, the easiest way is in Inkscape: select everything that you want in one color, move it together if you want, then with everything in one color selected use Control G. Do this for each layer/color that you would like in SCAL2. SCAL2 will import each group into it's own layer, so that if you only want to cut one layer all you need to do is close the eyes next to any layers that you don't want to cut.

sunnshinne352 wrote:Another issue I'm having is that my font isn't coming out exactly in scal as it was shown in inkscape (example: using times new roman in lower case letters, once imported into scal the t's aren't completely crossed, only crossed on the left side of the letter and the - doesn't go all the way through the letter, weird.)
Not sure why this is happening. What version of SCAL are you using? If you could post an svg file where this is happening, we can take a look and see if we can figure it out.

sunnshinne352 wrote:Also, is there anyway to make changes or edit text that was designed in inkscape once it's been imported into scal or do I have to save multiple copies in inkscape (because once I've changed text to paths I can't change font style, size, etc?) Then go into inkscape, make my changes on my copy that hasn't been changed to paths, change to paths, save, and import into scal?
It is easier to do this in Inkscape, since the only way to edit svg files in SCAL is to edit the nodes (much better to do this in Ink). You can have just one svg file, but have two sets of text... one to convert to Path and one left as text. Only the converted text (and any other vectors) will show in SCAL. HTH
sunnshinne352

Post by sunnshinne352 »

Butterfly wrote:It is easier to do this in Inkscape, since the only way to edit svg files in SCAL is to edit the nodes (much better to do this in Ink). You can have just one svg file, but have two sets of text... one to convert to Path and one left as text. Only the converted text (and any other vectors) will show in SCAL. HTH
So essentially have two my image twice on one inkscape doc, one selected and converted to paths, the other not?

Thanks so much, that definitely helps. Hopefully I'll be able to produce my finished product a lot quicker.

I have a few more "dummy-type" questions.

What are nodes? I keep seeing this everywhere and I don't even know what it is.

What exactly do I have to do to prepare a design created in inkscape to move into scal. As far as I can tell I have to convert to paths, and I read elsewhere that I had to change my view to outline from normal--why does this make a difference?

What does trace bitmap do? Is it only used when converting jpgs to svgs? Do I even need to use it if I'm happy with a design I created and only want to move it into scal2 for cutting?

You're a lifesaver for taking the time to help me out.
Christen
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

Nodes are like coordinates for navigating. When the cricuts cut, they basically move from node to node. That's why a file with a lot of nodes will take longer than a similar file with less nodes. Inkscape has a node simplification command (Control L) but if it is set too harsh it will round corners and distort shapes. I have a little bit more on this (including how to adjust the severity) on my blog.

If you are using SCAL2 and Inkscape, the important thing is that everything you want to cut (including the shapes) is converted to Path. Also, if you are using Inkscape 0.47 to convert text and use Path/Object to path, Ink will make each character a separate Path and use Group to keep them together. If you want to union/weld a script font you will need to Ungroup before you can use the Path operations or just use Path/Union to convert and union in one step.

The only reason to change your Inkscape view to Outline is to see the actual cutting lines. A good thing for beginners to use to make sure that things like script fonts are welded, but not necessary.

Trace bitmap is only used to convert bitmap images like jpg, bmp, tiff, and png to vector, so if you are working with fonts or vectors you won't need this. HTH