What is inkscape

General discussion about Inkscape
star

What is inkscape

Post by star »

Hi , I am a complete newbie here so please forgive me.
But what exactly is inkscape? I here a lot about it in these forums.
I understand it is a free program but what does it help you do?
I just downloaded SCAL the other day and have been trying to use it in my free time but is there a user guide that I'm missing?
If I have PSE7 do I need inkscape?
Thanks for any help
Star
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Re: What is inkscape

Post by HeatherM »

Inkscape creates vectors that you can import into SCAL to cut. SCAL2 is getting better and better vector creating and editing features, so if all you are doing is tracing simple images, using fonts, or creating files using the shapes provided in SCAL you probably won't need Inkscape. If you want to do extensive editing of vectors, or create a cutting file from something like a photograph you will probably be better off using Inkscape.

Photoshop and Inkscape really don't do the same things. I have used PS CS3 to take advantage of all of the glyphs in an open type font, but usually I just work in Inkscape.
star

Post by star »

Thanks for the response, appreciate it.
But I am still feeling pretty lost here, I have limited time to scrap and trying to figure this software out is killing my creative time. Is there a manual floating around out there that I can look at and refer to when I dont have time to get on the computer and watch videos and read about this program? It's just way easier for me to read up on things like when I'm cooking or getting my son down for a nap, so it would be extreamly helpful to have something that I can hold onto and look at in my spare moments.
I know I may sound like I'm complaining, just really frusterated.
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

There is an in-program manual that you can print out that covers the basics. Even though it hasn't been updated with the newer features, it's is a good place to start.
slouise

Post by slouise »

I am so glad that you asked this question. I'm going to be a newbie -

Now I have a question with one of the answers - what in the world is a "vector?"
raederle

Post by raederle »

slouise wrote:what in the world is a "vector?"
When you think about drawing with a pen and paper, you have a fixed size to your drawing. You could take it to a photocopier and shrink or enlarge it, but you will lose detail if you do either of those. When you draw with Inkscape or similar program, you create vector art or variable art. You can resize it without losing detail because it shrinks and enlarges keeping the ratios between the nodes or points consistent.
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Post by Sweetness4713 »

Another place to learn about inkscape is youtube videos.. That's where I learned my basics from.
slouise

Post by slouise »

Wow - thank you guys for your answers. This is getting exciting just to think about it.