WE DO NOT POST DISNEY files on this BOARD

For your help and questions
AuntBeepBeep

Re: WE DO NOT POST DISNEY files on this BOARD

Post by AuntBeepBeep »

I would say the difference in someone posting it on their blog and someone posting it here is how many people it could affect. I LOVE coming to this board and seeing designs and the Light only knows how many tutorials I have read to get me through. If copyrighted images are posted here, it would be Craftedge that gets the hit---since this is their board. And everyone on here could lose a valuable source of info and creativity. On someone's blog, they are the one to take the hit. Only their followers (which I would imagine is WAY less in numbers than board members here) would suffer the loss.

/.02
There is no finish line.
jasenj1
Location: Newport News, VA, USA; SCAL 2.044-Expression; SCAL 3-Cameo; Mac; Inkscape 0.48; GIMP 2.6

Post by jasenj1 »

I hope this doesn't descend into a flame-fest, and the discussion has been pretty civil so far, so here's my $0.02 worth.

FWIW, I am not a lawyer (IANAL) - you're probably not either, so our opinions mean diddley squat legally speaking. I'm a software engineer and pay some attention to copyright issues. EFF is a good place to read opinions from lawyers very interested in copyright issues.

In My Humble (and completely irrelevant legally) Opinion, this board is not in danger if people post copyrighted works. At worst, the copyright holder can contact whoever runs the board and ask that the offending material be removed.

Copyright tends to mean the holder has the exclusive privilege to sell - i.e. make money from - distributing the item in question. If the material is available free on the web, it's difficult to make a case that the copyright holder is suffering any damages due to someone else making a derivative work (e.g. an SVG cutting file) and making it freely available. Bloggers may actually be in more danger here than those of us just posting the files to the board. Many bloggers have ads on their sites and could be said to derive income from them and therefore from any copyrighted material on their blog.

As long as you/we maintain the copyright attribution - i.e. maintain something identifying who originally created the file and not claiming it is our own creation - we're likely very safe.

IANAL.

- Jasen.
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Post by Sweetness4713 »

VERY GOOD RESPONSE!!! and that does make sense... If they didn't want people having it they wouldn't post it on the web... So I will continue using their images but for my own personal use.. Thanks Jasen..
talanhart

Post by talanhart »

I posted the picture from the website as a suggestion. If you do plan on posting copyrighted artwork, you might be wise to add the disclaimer to your post. If I can find the artwork somewhere else on the web then I don't think we have anything to worry about. The PDF files of Provo Crafts carts contain vector artwork, but SVG artworks aren't readily available on the web. I would worry about posting those only because of Provo Crafts reputation.
Todd
Deloris

Post by Deloris »

Interesting discussion. And I would agree that it's very unlikely that someone as large as Disney would waste their time or legal fees to go after this site, however the rules set up by Craft Edge say:

"Do not post copyrighted or illegal material - Do not post copyrighted content here such as articles or images without the express permission of the copyright holder. If you wish to reference a copyrighted item found elsewhere online, simply link to it. If you acquire permission to repost a copyrighted piece here, add the phrase "posted with permission of the copyright holder" to your post. If you don't know whether or not something is copyrighted, assume it is."

So because I love visiting this site and agreed to those rules when I signed on as a member, I will abide by them and not post or do anything that might cause any problem for Craft Edge.

While Disney may not get upset, I agree that Cricut may get upset that they paid Disney for the copyrights to use their images for cutting files, but now see the same or similar images as free cutting files posted on Craft Edge. While Cricut hasn't done anything so far about the SCAL software program, they may persue the issue if their Disney cartridge images are given away for free on this board to cut with SCAL software.
LauraK

Post by LauraK »

Cricut hasn't done anything about SCAL, because SCAL isn't violating any rules or laws. As soon as you take the Cricut machine out of the store bought and paid for, it's YOURS. You can hook anything to it that you want, including SCAL. Also, considering I'm probably the one with the most Disney posts....I don't post the SVG's on this board, I post links to my blog in the posts.
jancy

Post by jancy »

LauraK wrote: I post links to my blog in the posts.
a couple of questions for you.

do you realize that those files on your blog are illegal? that you are breaking the law?

regarless of whether people think it's ok to do it, whether or not people think it's no big deal, whether or not Disney will actually come after anyone here, etc. etc. IT IS AGAINST THE LAW.

I don't get why you all are fine about breaking copyright laws like that.
lindamac
Location: Arizona-SCAL1, SCAL2,SCAL3 Inkscape,Silhouette Cameo

Post by lindamac »

We all break some kind of law sometime. I'm sure we have all driven over the posted speed limit and have never given it a thought. Like I said, if it offends you, don't download it.
jancy

Post by jancy »

lindamac wrote:We all break some kind of law sometime. I'm sure we have all driven over the posted speed limit and have never given it a thought. Like I said, if it offends you, don't download it.
that's my whole point. those of you that think it's no big deal, don't realize what a big deal it really is. It's a HUGE deal. sure we may all drive over the speed limit from time to time, but we all don't go around stealing things that don't belong to us.

copyright infringement is stealing, plain & simple.
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Post by Sweetness4713 »

lindamac wrote:We all break some kind of law sometime. I'm sure we have all driven over the posted speed limit and have never given it a thought. Like I said, if it offends you, don't download it.
I have a license but don't drive.. too many meds.. So nope.. I've never driven over the speed limit..lol