Open paths at last!

For your help and questions
firstcut

Open paths at last!

Post by firstcut »

OK, I am running v2.011 on my Mac and I can't stump it with an open path. It cuts not only open paths drawn in SCAL but also open paths from imported SVGs. I tried, straight lines, curves and unconnected polygons. All cut perfectly. A dashed line in Inkscape (not stroked to path) will cut as a solid line, but that is the only caveat I can find. And the dashed or solid line styles just cut once, like they should. Not like the stroked lines we had to create before that doubled back.
This has huge implications in a few ways I can think of right off the top of my head.
-Easily create a cutting layer and a scoring layer with real single line scoring.
-Less cleanup required with files created for other machines or programs. No more connecting nodes.
-Much better support for pens and markers. You can create realistic looking letters without worrying about filling in.
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Re: Open paths at last!

Post by Sweetness4713 »

Kay it would really be neat if you did a video on all this.. ROFLMAO>>>
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

I cut a straight line this morning as a test without problems, but I made a file later with slits inside a closed shape, and the slits didn't cut. :cry: I wonder why they work sometimes and not others? Both were made in Inkscape, one was horizontal and one was vertical.
TOASTER

Post by TOASTER »

With all of the new features on the new update do we still need Inkscape for just basic things like making simple svgs from clipart?
Toaster

cameo, cricut expression, cricut create
SCAL 2 , SCAL 3, Windows 10
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

No, Toaster, most of that can be done in SCAL now, especially if the item to be traced is already pretty clean.
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Post by Sweetness4713 »

I was checking out your comparison chart Kay.. Pretty soon if SCAL2 keeps up the way it is it will be way ahead of that other unmentionable company.. ROFLMAO.. Thanks for doing the chart...
TOASTER

Post by TOASTER »

Just when I was starting to get the hang of Inkscape! Hopefully, the little knowledge of it I have will transfer to the new update on SCAL.
Toaster

cameo, cricut expression, cricut create
SCAL 2 , SCAL 3, Windows 10
sandyj

Post by sandyj »

It's been able to cut open paths for quite some time - after the scal2 update.
Rachell

Post by Rachell »

scal has improved lot since a year ago and they have been working very hard to make sure it is what everyone would want it to be.
Last edited by Rachell on Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

CE doesn't remove references to MTC either. If you do a search for it you will come up with eight pages of posts. It's just my opinion, but I don't think that it's likely that CE will charge for updates anytime soon (maybe if MTC does first). There were many upgrades to SCAL1 before the switch to SCAL2, and they are not really comparable as far as features. :)