Sandblasting Vinyl

For your help and questions
talanhart

Sandblasting Vinyl

Post by talanhart »

I was browsing at Signwarehouse and I came across this.
http://www.signwarehouse.com/VSMASKBLAS ... -S-15.html
We have a bead blaster here at work. This would be great to use on glasses etc. instead of the cream. It would be a lot faster too! I wonder if they would send me a free sample?

Edit: They are sending me a FREE sample. Woo Hoo!
Todd
blueknittingnut

Re: Sandblasting Vinyl

Post by blueknittingnut »

Let us know how/ if it cuts with the cricut. I would like to try either using sand to etch or a dremel tool
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

Talan,
Not only is this great for sandblasting, but I'm pretty sure it is the same thing that is sold as rhinestone template material and the same thing that is in the Pazzles stamp kit, and the scrapbookdiecutter embossing kit. I don't have a sandblaster (and think the sand/home ones work with regular vinyl) but have made stamps and embossing folders (the die part) with the above and love it!
TheresaTT

Post by TheresaTT »

i got a catalog today. i like signwarehouse. they sent me samples of heat press vinyl once. not just one color either. about 5 and i didn't even ask for that many. i am gonna order the new iron on vinyl since i don't have a heat press. have fun and let us see. ;)
Theresa
Windows 7, Scal 2.044( to use with my E ) , Expression, Inkscape 9, USCutter SC series cutter, Scal 4... Pro
btails

Post by btails »

And our regular oracle can't be sandblasted ???
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

Yes, btails, as I mentioned in my earlier post, regular vinyl can be used for the home/low pressure sand blasting. I have seen some beautiful examples on the Cricut vinyl board. Am envious because the etching is so much more pronounced than the chemical etch.
btails

Post by btails »

yes I have done some cream etching...have to watch the underneath of the glass..I'v gotten it on the bottom..and sometimes doesn't etch all the way through.thanks !!
jrichards

Post by jrichards »

My husband does sandblasting on glass etc. It requires more knowledge than you think. He does trophies, plaques etc. from design to finished product. He uses a vinyl but it is not cut out before it is put on the glass. If your design is complicated it would be very difficult to get it on the glass exactly like you want it if it is already cut. The edges also tend to lift if you don't have it down really well. If it is just an initial or something you might get away with doing it that way. He goes through a lot of steps to get there and I don't even know all of them. If anyone is interested let me know and I will get more info from him.
Jan
cad

Post by cad »

I've done alot of sandblasting too. Before I even tried vinyl, I used masking tape. If you keep the nozzle at a good distance and the pressure low, it will turn out fine. I don't know that you would even need a special vinyl though...I think regular outdoor vinyl would be fine...but maybe too hard to lift back up.
I think the key is to not get too aggressive, just do low pressure and take it easy - otherwise the blasted area may be too rough and deep for your liking. Now that we have an enclosed sandblaster that you have to stand at, I hardly do it b/c those darn gloves/arm things are too big and cumbersome for me, plus I have to stand on a chair (DH is tall).... I really liked our little sandblaster that looked like a big bucket on wheels, it was much easier to use for me :)
Good luck!
Check out a new scrapbooking/cardmaking tool made by a small town girl!
www.thefreezeframe.com
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

cad,
I think the other stuff is for big commercial blasters like what they make signs in front of subdivisions, etc. with. Way overkill for our etching needs, but interesting for other purposes.