Official Statement from Provo Craft

For your help and questions
jasenj1
Location: Newport News, VA, USA; SCAL 2.044-Expression; SCAL 3-Cameo; Mac; Inkscape 0.48; GIMP 2.6

Official Statement from Provo Craft

Post by jasenj1 »

http://www.cricut.com/statement/

A key quote:
"With regard to Make the Cut!, in a jointly stipulated injunction filed in March, Make the Cut! agreed to discontinue the sale and support of its software for use with Cricut as remedy to the unlawful manner in which the software was developed. The unlawful actions cited in the injunction include violation of the Cricut Design Studio end user license agreement and violations of U.S. copyright and trademark laws. Earlier this month, Provo Craft and Make the Cut! amicably resolved the matter in a confidential settlement."

No. All that settling out of court means is that MTC did not feel it worth the legal expense to defend themselves. There is no admission of guilt or legal precedent set. Provo Craft dropped their case against MTC - by settling out of court - and it could just as easily be said that they were unwilling to pursue the case because they knew they'd lose. Any statement about "unlawful" or "illegal" or "violation" is pure conjecture. It takes a court to determine that, and no court case occurred, so no definitive statement can be made. Provo Craft "believes" the activities to have been illegal, but that is not a settled issue.

- Jasen.
janekinso

Re: Official Statement from Provo Craft

Post by janekinso »

Thanks for that info, Jasen. Where would corporations (and politicians ! ) be without "spin"?
jane
Creativity is a continual surprise.--Ray Bradbury

Silver Bullet 13, SCAL 4.038, Win7 64 bit
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Post by Sweetness4713 »

Well it seems from reading on the PC boards that they are working on a program where you can go in and design your own image and cut it with your machine.. Hmmm now wouldn't that be calling the kettle black?? I mean that is totally copying the capabilities of MTC and SCAL...
Jax

Post by Jax »

Sweetness4713 wrote:Well it seems from reading on the PC boards that they are working on a program where you can go in and design your own image and cut it with your machine.. Hmmm now wouldn't that be calling the kettle black?? I mean that is totally copying the capabilities of MTC and SCAL...
It also goes against everything they have been trying to defend. The use of the Cricut with only Cartridges...their beef isn't with the using a computer to do designs it's that users of MTC and SCAL are not buying cartridges. Also many have copied the designs that they claim are theirs from similar designs they put on the cartridges but that is another story. From what I understand, because I've never used it, but their Design Studio can design but you have to own the cartridge to be able to use the font/design on it...They have found out that they were going in the wrong direction and are trying to "revamp" their product for the new users...the number of users of MTC and SCAL were not significant in the past till now...also with the new market of cutters they need to keep up or they will be going the way of Polaroid Instant cameras...
If you aren't learning something new everyday you might as well just lie in a grave and wait for death.
Butterfly

Post by Butterfly »

They say they are working on it , but it won't be available right away. LMAO.....BULL.....just another promise that they are making and will never see they light of day just like so many others they have made!
This is just my opinion and I will say no more
Scrappin My Way Through
Going Where I Please and Pleasing Where I Go

Windows XP, Expression, SCAL 2.041, Inkscape 47
http://darliciouscreations.weebly.com/
Deloris

Post by Deloris »

Are you talking about the Cricut Craft Room program that you have to use on line or a different one?

From what I saw on the Craft Room information sheet, the design program only works if you have the cartridge. It won't cut regular SVG files. Seems just like Design Studio so I'm not sure what they have in mind other than it's free.

“Cricut Craft Room is the solution to many of our customers’ requests,” says Jim Colby, Senior Vice President of Product Development. “With this new software, anyone can design with our complete library and add their personalization by welding and manipulating our artwork on the virtual mat. Customers must own a cartridge in order to cut images from it, but they can design and get inspiration from everything.”
gj1

Post by gj1 »

If this new program does something more than DS or includes some of the functions that were promised for DS and it is free...it is a step up. Many people love to work and design with cartridges...and many people have MANY cartridges. I never would have found the joy that I call papercrafting and machine cutting if it had not been for the makers of my machine that I still use, and viewing all the alternative machine comparisons offered have actually considered buying another one just like I have for backup because of the price...so, in my opinion, some of the chat about all of this just continues to send business their way, which is okay. Live and let live...they have not done anything to me directly. Their attempts to control things get a bit rediculous, I agree, and this costs them some votes so to speak. I love SCAL best though...I just like how SCAL SUPPORT responds to my needs like a dear friend...I love that, so they are my choice now...plus I ran out of money for carts...but I don't want to dis(as the kids say)those that got me here.

I personally learned soooooooooooooo much from everyone over there and will never forget them,...although, maybe many of the gals and guys there are here now :) I don't 'really' know who is who...you are all my crafting buds.

I hope that there will be an amicable outcome for all.
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Post by Sweetness4713 »

Nope Deloris.. this is a different one they are working on..
Soraya

Post by Soraya »

What the Freud? If my expressions dies, I not going for another. I'm a beginner (not playing much yet) but I like knowing that I can add some crazy thing to my cards. Today while i was driving back home, i kept toying with a design for my kids academy grad. It hit me that i can replicate their emblem by tweaking a file I bought and adding my own ideas. Where in the world could I do the same with DS? Not even in an alternate universe. I'm sticking to SCAL. Besides, Todd and Joanneb (along with others) have the funniest ideas. Too much fun!! SCAL is user friendly... and when I hit the wall I run here...

Thanks SCALites... I'm proudly one of them.. :)
SCAL 2 (cricut), SCAL 3 (Black Cat 15"), Windows 10