Help!!! Cutting size is not accurate

For your help and questions
air5861

Help!!! Cutting size is not accurate

Post by air5861 »

I have SCAL4 and am cutting on a Silver Bullet Cutter. I imported a pdf file with my shape which is about 5.5 x 5.5 inches but when sent to the cutter it cuts at about 4 x 4 inches. I tried to do a print and cut with the same file and the print size is accurate but the cut size is still too small. I have contacted Silver Bullet and they tried to help but say that the problem is with the SCAL software not the machine. So, then I pulled up a shape from the library and set the size to 3 x 3 inches and hit cut and it cut at 2 1/2 x 2 1/2. Strange!!!!!

I really needed the shape cut out so I started messing around with the size and eventually I found that if I set the size in SCAL to 6.9 x 6.5 inches I got the cut to be the 5.5 x 5.5 that I needed.

I didn't have this problem when using SCAL 3.

Do I need to change some settings? Do I need to redownload the software?

I'll be forever grateful for any help!!

Thanks.
Snijderke

Re: Help!!! Cutting size is not accurate

Post by Snijderke »

air5861 wrote:I have SCAL4 and am cutting on a Silver Bullet Cutter. I imported a pdf file with my shape which is about 5.5 x 5.5 inches but when sent to the cutter it cuts at about 4 x 4 inches. I tried to do a print and cut with the same file and the print size is accurate but the cut size is still too small. I have contacted Silver Bullet and they tried to help but say that the problem is with the SCAL software not the machine. So, then I pulled up a shape from the library and set the size to 3 x 3 inches and hit cut and it cut at 2 1/2 x 2 1/2. Strange!!!!!

I really needed the shape cut out so I started messing around with the size and eventually I found that if I set the size in SCAL to 6.9 x 6.5 inches I got the cut to be the 5.5 x 5.5 that I needed.

I didn't have this problem when using SCAL 3.

Do I need to change some settings? Do I need to redownload the software?

I'll be forever grateful for any help!!

Thanks.

Hi, maybe you have to set the dpi for the import preferances. In the upper bar off SCAl4 , select EDIT, then PREFERANCES. You can now chose between 72, 90, 96 and 300 dpi.
Maybe, this wil help.
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

First, I'm assuming you are using the W: and H: dimensions shown on the Size & Position Panel in SCAL.

Then, if the actual size doens't match the W and the H, then go to Cutter>Cutter Settings and the Resolution can be adjusted for your cutter. If you've not changed those settings, they should read 1 and 1. But if your 3 x 3 shape is cutting at 2 1/2 x 2 1/2, then you should enter 1.2 as the resolution for both. Although a more accurate calibration for your cutter would be to cut (or draw) a 10 inch square on a large sheet of paper and then measure and adjust based on that.
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/
craftedge
Site Admin

Post by craftedge »

Scaling can be set on the Silver bullet:
Press Menu once again and enter into Set Per setting. Xp and Yp refer to cutting scale. The purpose is to set the scale from PC and output file into 1:1 (If there’s any error between the actual output and the software setting, please adjust Xp and Yp. The default values are Xp=36720, YP=36650)

Another option is to set the resolution in SCAL, by choosing to Cut with Silver Bullet to bring up the cut window and click the Settings button. From there you an set X and Y resolution values. The values in the software are based on a 1 x 1 inch square, so if it cutting too small, increase the values.