Jewelry - What Material to Use for Cutting?

For your help and questions
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Jewelry - What Material to Use for Cutting?

Post by sstehman »

Was playing around with basic shapes and the Bondoni Ornamental Font today trying to come up with some pendants to use for some necklaces, earrings, etc. Just had a brainstorm that instead of sending my daughter a box of snacks at college (as the food they have today is much better than in my days), that it would be nice to send her some home made jewelry.

Here are some simple ones I put together and it didn't take time at all to create them (and time is usually my enemy).

So here is what I came up with to start....but am not sure what material to use to cut. Haven't tried any thin metals yet and not even sure if the eClips can handle it, but will welcome ideas and input from anyone that might have tried this.
Attachments
Jewelry Designs.scut3
(148.94 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
JewelryImage.jpg
JewelryImage.jpg (26.37 KiB) Viewed 5225 times
Sandy in PA
gj1

Re: Jewelry - What Material to Use for Cutting?

Post by gj1 »

BEAUTIFUL designs!!! LOVE THEM!
I don't know about materials though...just thought I would say it is a good idea, and they should make up nice.
Hope someone can mention a way. I would be concerned about sharp edges of metal, though. Not sure how they get smoothed on the edges.

Could they be made out of the shrink stuff that gets baked, or cut clay somehow....hmmm...
I hope someone knows how.

Maybe paper, and then coated with modge podge to firm them up.

Lots in google search on this...if made with paper, you can paint the paper with nail polish to seal and give shine to the paper..
I use to have a product called triple thick...it worked good to make the paper more solid and durable.
My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.
Louise-Paisley

Post by Louise-Paisley »

you can print n cut them from shrink plastic depending on cutter.. I know blackcats/ silver bullets will cut it but don't know about others
Software: Windows 7 (64 bit) - SCAL 3 - Inkscape - Illustrator CS4 - Signcut Pro
Cutter 1: Blackcat Cougar 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
Cutter 2: Phoenix Silver Bullet Pro 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
sstehman

Post by sstehman »

Was thinking with the metal that I might be able to lightly file edges and then coat them with some kind of clear coat. Still thinking on what would work.

Louise -- what is shrink plastic?

Was coming up with all possibilities with just the shapes and it just seems like this should work somehow.
Sandy in PA
gj1

Post by gj1 »

http://www.mcgpaper.com/howtomaksupc.html

WOW...these are GREAT instructions!
My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.
Louise-Paisley

Post by Louise-Paisley »

I was toying with the idea of using fine tip permanent markers to plot on normal (non inkjet) shrink plastic and then cut ;)
Software: Windows 7 (64 bit) - SCAL 3 - Inkscape - Illustrator CS4 - Signcut Pro
Cutter 1: Blackcat Cougar 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
Cutter 2: Phoenix Silver Bullet Pro 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
jendryden

Post by jendryden »

Two thoughts pop into my head both involve paper.
Cut it out and them put modge podge on them several times.....
or use embossing powder and heat set with several different times.

And the cricut will cut shrink plastic if you use the deep cut blade and mulitcut
Jen
papasue

Post by papasue »

Well Sandy is looks like you got plenty of suggestions for your wonderful, creative project so all I'm adding is that when you've got it figured out and a piece completed, you come back and share "how to" with us. The Holiday's are coming and something like these (I see earrings) will make great gifts.

The designs with the bodoni font look like the perfect design vehicle.

Thanks,
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Post by Sweetness4713 »

Very very nice.. You can always use clear nail polish on the edges... If you have embossing powder I would use the embossing glue on them.. then sprinkle either gold or silver embossing powder and then use your heat gun on them.. or even a pearlized color on them..
sstehman

Post by sstehman »

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I am going to experiment with a couple of them and see what works and looks more like "real" jewelry. Give me some time to come up with something.
Sandy in PA