SCAL Pro 5 issues

For your help and questions
Dae

SCAL Pro 5 issues

Post by Dae »

Hello.

I recently had to start using our SCAL Pro 5 I bought last year due to a OS X update. I was using MTC since late 2012 with our KNK MAXX air.

I know there is a learning curve here. The issue I'm having is with SCAL Pro 5 is the registration.

These pieces were printed before in mind for MTC. I've set them up the same way over the past nine years. We cut down business cards and vinyl contour cut stickers.

The registration marks in SCAL show up way outside the cut area (about a 1/4") example below,
SCALregmarks.jpg
SCALregmarks.jpg (132.71 KiB) Viewed 3831 times
Here is a image of what I'm cutting and the reg marks already printed. This was printed the way I set them up for MTC.
SCALregmarks1.jpg
SCALregmarks1.jpg (197.37 KiB) Viewed 3831 times
The registration marks I have printed on the sheet are set right where the cut lines are and it's always how I set it up with MTC. Make a pdf of the paths being cut and make sure the reg marks meet. Example of it in Adobe Illustrator set with the marks and guides showing how the marks meet with the cut lines (red circles).
SCALregmarks2.jpg
SCALregmarks2.jpg (184.98 KiB) Viewed 3831 times
The other issue and how SCAL handles the reg marks. MTC always started the first reg mark at the 1,top right, 2,bottom right, and 3 bottom left and would go back to origin point which is the bottom right corner of the sheet.

The sheet sizes I usually print on are 11" x 17", 12" x 18" and 12.5" x 19". The one in the pictures is 12.5" x 19". I made our art board 12.5" x 19" in the SCAL Matte size and it's set a vertical. I adhere them to a 18" x 24" self cutting mat.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm making the effort to troubleshot a work around right now which will add more steps to my process for the current load of work that is already printed. The idea I have is to print out a sheet with the new reg marks showing for the current cut area in SCAL and overlay it on current cut piece so I can at least register the form and get them cutting properly.

If there is a way to bring in the reg marks I'm over looking that is the main issue
SandyMcC

Re: SCAL Pro 5 issues

Post by SandyMcC »

Look under Cutter>Cutter Settings and change from "Mark Offset Around Design" to "Mark Inset from Print Bounds". Then the setting below will position the reg marks based on your printout dimensions + required margins by your printer settings. Note: be careful about enabling Borderless printing without minimizing the Extension/Expansion setting (which can also be called something else).

I also gave Plotter Geeks more info yesterday regarding your issue and you should have received that info from Chad.
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/