Newbie few questions please help me getting discouraged

For your help and questions
redster16

Newbie few questions please help me getting discouraged

Post by redster16 »

Hi everyone well I officially bought Scal 2 about 4 weeks ago if not longer and sad to say I have only used it once. I originally bought it becaue the idea of cutting so many different fonts however everytime I think of an image I want I get frustrated on now knowing what I am doing and become overwhelmed and just revert to what I may have on a cricut cartridge or just go without. and i only have 6 cartridges and refuse to buy more since I bought this software

So anyway to make a long story short I have downloaded inkscape,lib it up which apparently does not work with scal 2 so how do I save my images for easy access later is my first problem?>

Next if I find an image say in this forum and it is already converted to svg I just import it from inkscape right? then make it the size I want and cut? what if I need it multiple times do I just use my cricut quantity button for that?

this seems so foreign to me I downloaded this on my laptop but now my driver settings keep messing up does anyone know why that is??

I have viewed tutuorials but still seem so lost..and I need a zebra for a swap I am doing and need 26 of them so kind of in desperate need anyone have a zebra will instructions to help me with these solutions?!?!? I have a few CD's that i paid for with my scal 2 but when i put them in my computer its like impossible to view what is on each one not sure why that is hmmm just gettting sooo upset... I know i will love this program once I have time and understand it but understanding it is becoming the hardest part...please help me if you can I would appreciate it :roll:
lkc

Re: Newbie few questions please help me getting discouraged

Post by lkc »

I will try to answer one of your questions...when someone posts an svg file, all you need to do is click on it to save it on your computer. Pay attention to where it's going. I've created a folder on my computer named SVG files so I try to drop my downloaded files in there. You don't need to take them into Inkscape to use them unless you were looking to change something.

Just open your scal program and select 'Import svg'. You can import it again to create multiples and size them using your Properties window...My screen shot is scal1 so I don't know if it looks different in scal2 but hopefully that will give you a little info.

Laura :)
savesvg.png
savesvg.png (193.69 KiB) Viewed 10616 times
Attachments
importsvg.png
importsvg.png (105.1 KiB) Viewed 10617 times
Tingha Treasures

Post by Tingha Treasures »

Hi
sorry to hear you are getting frustrated.

First of all run SCAL2 in XP mode IF you have vista
check here for details.http://www.craftedge.com/products/xpmode.html make sure your Cricut is plugged into a usb port not a hub!

second import the zebra (you always import svgs) size to what you want then edit/copy and edit/paste a row of them on mat.
next using your mouse draw a box round them and object/group them then you can edit/copy edit/paste a whole page over your mat!

do hope thats a help! :D :D
DogCarbon
Location: Amish Country, PA... using SCAL3, Vista, ink 0.46 with my Cameo. Trying to learn alll that I can.

Post by DogCarbon »

I have set up my file structure such that I a have a scrap folder and within that folder is more folders:

Bingbats, Fonts, Ideas, pdf, and svg

And then under svg I have more folders:

Animal
Baby
Backgrounds
Beach
Box_Tags
Boy
Camping
Disney
Flourishes
Gardening
Girls
Holiday (which has MORE folders for each holiday and season)
Kitchen_Food
Music
Other_Religion_Quotes
Paper Dolls
scut (for whenenver I find an scut file)
Sports
Traffic Signs
Travel
Weather (rain/snow - subfolders)

Hope this helps to keep you organized.
balletcostumemom

Post by balletcostumemom »

As a newbie as well, maybe 30 days with SCAL2 running, I also suggest you add folders as has been suggested.

It is easy to get overwhelmed, if you're like me and started out with an arsenal of ideas of things I wanted to accomplish yesterday. And of course, I got SCAL2, Inkscape and my Cricut all on the same day so I was busting at the seams ready :D After I slowed down, took a deep breath and realized I need to learn the software through projects designed to do that rather than having the project ideas dictate what I needed to learn, the learning process started coming more easily.

So while I can't help you with specific project help yet, I do suggest after you get this particular project finished that you find a way to start from where "you are" in your SCAL/Inkscape learning process and take a portion of whatever time you have daily to work on designs to learn one new technique that gets you where you'd like to be in a month. Once I settled down and did that, I put it upon myself to learn one new technique or method on either SCAL2 or Inkscape a day. Because I was starting from scratch, for me, it was as simple the first day as learning to add new fonts to the computer, and then developing a project to use that font which in my case was also learning how to cut vinyl and apply it. If the project could not be finished then I started where I left off the next day. Because one learning attempt always leads to another, then the next project, I wanted to learn how to cut multiples and if my best bet was to use the machine to do it for me or develop a file that had the multiples already to cut. So that day I experimented with cutting multiples on cricut and then actually making a file that already had the multiples in it. Again, two techniques learned in a short amount of time and again in looking here to find the answers, the next thing I needed to learn generally sort of presented itself.

Settling into this mode, has made me less discouraged and frustrated and given me a good bit of confidence. Of course, coupled with the wonderful group of people here who give of themselves on a daily basis to others.
Last edited by balletcostumemom on Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Windows XP, SCAL 2.102, Inkscape 0.47
DogCarbon
Location: Amish Country, PA... using SCAL3, Vista, ink 0.46 with my Cameo. Trying to learn alll that I can.

Post by DogCarbon »

I so agree with balletcostumemom (bcm) !

You, bcm, and myself are all about the same time frame with our cricut and SCAL and inkscape and associated learning curve!

And I searched for You Tube videos to watch, then set out to do one or two per day, and learn slowly. (some where from mypinkscapper.com and penny duncan's website under tutorials: http://pennyduncancreations.com/index.html )

HTH!
lkc

Post by lkc »

WOW! What great tips everyone! This is such a nice community of helpful crafters!

Have a crafty day! :D
DogCarbon

Post by DogCarbon »

just an update for any newbies lurking......

I have been using Inkscape and SCAL for about 6 weeks now.

I feel that it has taken me about a month to get really comfortable with inkscape, and I now can use most any usable image and convert it to something scal can use.
lkc

Post by lkc »

DogCarbon wrote:just an update for any newbies lurking......

I have been using Inkscape and SCAL for about 6 weeks now.

I feel that it has taken me about a month to get really comfortable with inkscape, and I now can use most any usable image and convert it to something scal can use.
Thanks for the update, DogCarbon!

PS- Have to confess, I'm curious about your user name... :oops: :lol:
DogCarbon

Post by DogCarbon »

many years ago.... when the interweb was starting... I needed a username... and I looked down... and there was the Dog who name was Carbon.

and there ever more is my online user name of DogCarbon......... not very creative, huh? :mrgreen:

and it is a username that is never taken. :lol:

Carbon just passed away this summer, after having him for almost 15 years.