SCAL 5 Pro Major Tiling issues and crashing

Venetianstudios

SCAL 5 Pro Major Tiling issues and crashing

Post by Venetianstudios »

I have recently upgraded to SCAL 5 Pro and now am having issues with tiling and crashing.
I have 24" GCC Expert II vinyl cutter, just fyi.

1. Cut from Origin point is not working properly. It still scrolls way to the end of my long narrow file and starts from the end even after I have set the origin point at the top right edge of the vinyl and the file is centered on the custom sized "cutting mat" in the software.
2. The window that lets you set the position of the file on the mat to (x-0, y-0) for example is sometimes there and then gone completley.
3. I cannot choose which tile I want to cut. The "check or uncheck all" box is not working and clicking on individual tiles does nothing.
4. The software is crashing frequently.

On my last attempt, it ignored the tiles completely and tried to cut the entire file all at once making a mess of it when the vinyl cutter couldn't keep the vinyl straight after several yards and went crooked. I tried to pause/cancel the job and it ignored me. I had to turn off the power to make it stop!

I have tried cutting this file on both my MacBook Pro running Catalina OS and my new MacBook Air running freshly updated Big Sur to no avail.
Reaching desperation mode and have wasted a LOT of expensive vinyl.
Please HELP?!
SandyMcC

Re: SCAL 5 Pro Major Tiling issues and crashing

Post by SandyMcC »

It may take a few "back and forths" to resolve these issues but I will help you.

1. Please post two screenshots - a. the project on the cutting mat b. the Cut Settings window showing the preview of your project. Zoom out once by clicking on the zoom minus icon above the preview so that it better shows the project relative to the cutter.

2. That panel is called the Position & Size panel and you will need to just click its icon (second one down) on the far right to bring it back.

3. I will run some tests tomorrow on Tiling. But first... verify that you are on version 5.049 of SCAL on your Mac and not an earlier one.

4. If the crashing is random, then you'll need to do a support ticket. If the crashing happens every time with a certain function you're executing, then I will gladly verify it on my Mac and then I can report it to the developer.
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

An update: I reported the Tiling issue to Craft Edge after testing on my Mac. It is a Mac-only bug but I know the developer will get it fixed. In the meantime, you can also do Tiling by going to Effects>Tiling, setting up the tiles you want and then clicking on Make Pages. Each of the tiles will then be created on their own Page in the project and you can select whichever page you wish to cut.

Hope this helps while waiting for the next SCAL 5 update (which will be free and available fairly soon, I would guess).
Sandy McCauley
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

If you're interested, I have an update to SCAL5 Pro and the tiling issue is resolved. You can email me at smccauley45@cox.net if you want the link.
Sandy McCauley