How to fix image after tracing

Common questions/answers for new users
Pawandy

How to fix image after tracing

Post by Pawandy »

I just traced a logo in Scal 5 and it is jagged. Just wanting to know if there is a easy way to fix this without trying to edit it one pixel at a time.
Attachments
ogram logo capture.JPG
ogram logo capture.JPG (29.6 KiB) Viewed 12792 times
SandyMcC

Re: How to fix image after tracing

Post by SandyMcC »

Pixels only exist in raster graphics and a traced image means it's now a vector so you would need to do node editing instead.

A couple of things:

(1) Node editing can be tedious. I will do anything to minimize it. lol

(2) When tracing, did you "play with" the Contrast setting to optimize the trace? Increasing that setting will capture more of the original image and could be all that is needed.

(3) Getting a good trace of text is difficult, even if (2) seems to solve the issue. With a very basic font like this one, the eye is unforgiving of any flaws. Note this is true in ANY tracing software.

Typically, I will reproduce the text fresh versus trying to trace it and SCAL has the functions needed to put text on a curve.
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/
Pawandy

Post by Pawandy »

Thanks for the reply and info. I am going to try and get the original file from the designer. This is part of a logo from my friends van that I took. He wants it put on his mailbox lol...I might just try and do it from scratch too.

Thanks again. :)
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

You're welcome! Happy to help!
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/
bobturnbul

Post by bobturnbul »

SandyMcC wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:12 am Pixels only exist in raster graphics and a traced image means it's now a vector so you would need to do node editing instead.

A couple of things:

(1) Node editing can be tedious. I will do anything to minimize it. lol

(2) When tracing, did you "play with" the Contrast setting to optimize the trace? Increasing that setting will capture more of the original image and could be all that is needed.

(3) Getting a good trace of text is difficult, even if (2) seems to solve the issue. With a very basic font like this one, the eye is unforgiving of any flaws. Note this is true in ANY tracing software.

Typically, I will reproduce the text fresh versus trying to trace it and SCAL has the functions needed to put text on a curve.
Thank you for your advise, it helped me too.