SCAL5 svg saved to Silhouette DE cuts offset

mikpar

SCAL5 svg saved to Silhouette DE cuts offset

Post by mikpar »

This is the file I saved in SVG format, now opened in Silhouette Disigner Studio DE version 4.3.341
This is the file I saved in SVG format, now opened in Silhouette Disigner Studio DE version 4.3.341
Silhouette-DE-image-of-SVG-file-from-SCAL5.jpg (269.33 KiB) Viewed 3952 times
I recently purchased and installed Sure Cuts a Lot 5. I have a Cameo 2, and am running Silhouette Studio Designer Edition 4.3.341 (also had same problem under version 4.3.273).

I primarily want to use SCAL5 to trace custom images, print them, and then cut out the printed images using the Cameo 2. I understand that the cameo 2 can do this using the PIX SCAN option. I have tried this, and found that the PIX SCAN does a relatively poor job of tracing the the scanned image. I bought SCAL5 in the hope that it would do a better job of tracing. I have found that SCAL 5 does much better and is much easier to adjust the tracing parameters than the PIX SCAN option.

When I use SCAL5 I get what appears to be an excellent trace of my graphic. I then print the graphic, with the standard registration marks from within SCAL5.

Then I export the cut file from SCAL5 (the same file I printed) in SVG format.

The cut file opens in Silhouette Studio just file. My problems come when I try to use the SVG file saved from SCAL5 to cut the image that I printed under SCAL5.

The shape cuts in the correct shape, but it is cutting offset from the actual printed image on the printed page (Down and to the left). It is as though the registration marks are either not registering properly, or not being seen at all. If I do a "two pass" cut the second pass is also offset but by a different amount then the first pass. The paper is NOT slipping on the tack sheet.

I also noticed that on the Cameo when I "SEND" the cutfile the registration marks appear in the cameo "SEND" screen in the same RED color as the cut lines, and in fact, they get CUT along with the traced CUT lines. And they are offset from the actual registraion marks on the printed page. This makes me believe that 1) the cut marks on the printed page are not being recognized as registration marks, and 2) The SVG file exported by SCAL5 does not match the printed page.

Can you explain what I am doing wrong? Is my whole approach incorrect? Am I asking SCAL and Silhouette Studio and the cameo to do something they are incapable of? Or am I just going about it in the wrong way? Am I missing a step when I go to cut on the cameo?

I have photos of the SCAL5 screen, Silhouette DE Screen, and the cut output of the printed cut file if that would be helpful in understanding my problem.
Mike Parker
mikpar@hotmail.com
Attachments
This is a photo of the page as CUT by the Cameo 2.  Note cuts are shifted to the left and down from the actual printed image.  If I do a 2 pass cut, the second cut is shifted even further to the left and down.
This is a photo of the page as CUT by the Cameo 2. Note cuts are shifted to the left and down from the actual printed image. If I do a 2 pass cut, the second cut is shifted even further to the left and down.
CAMEO2-cut-output.jpg (267.05 KiB) Viewed 3952 times
This is the file in SCAL5.
This is the file in SCAL5.
SCAL5-image-of-file.jpg (319.41 KiB) Viewed 3952 times
SandyMcC

Re: SCAL5 svg saved to Silhouette DE cuts offset

Post by SandyMcC »

I don't personally own Silhouette cutters but I could see where there could be a definite conflict between having SCAL print your project with the reg marks and then having Silh Studio perform and scan and the cutting. Would it be possible to still use SCAL for the tracing and then align the svg in Silh Studio with your raster shapes and print from there?
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/
mikpar

Post by mikpar »

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try. I thought the purpose of the registration marks was so that the Cameo could determine where on the sheet the image was relative to the registration marks, and thus know where to make the cuts on the printed page. But even though the Registration marks appear in the SVG file, it seems that the silhouette software does not recognize themas registration marks, but rather as part of the pattern that is to b3 cut (not
red cut line on the Registration marks, and the fact that the Cameo is cutting them
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

Yes, the purpose of the registration marks is definitely to provide a way to cut out a printed image accurately but, in general, you want to be performing the cut from within SCAL itself. Some people will print from a different application but then use SCAL for the scanning and the cutting part. Have you tried cutting from SCAL instead of from Silh Studio?
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/
mikpar

Post by mikpar »

I haven't. I will try that. thanks. I don't know why I didn't think of that. It now seems so obvious