Is there a list of fonts that MUST remain on your computer?

Share your favorite fonts to use in Sure Cuts A Lot
Aussie Alli

Is there a list of fonts that MUST remain on your computer?

Post by Aussie Alli »

I thought i read somewhere that there are certain fonts that must remain on your computer for it to function correctly...I'm thinking of thinning out my fonts, and I don't want to delete anything that needs to stay..I thought I saw a list posted somewhere, can anyone point me in the right direction?

TIA!
kelsie94

Re: Is there a list of fonts that MUST remain on your computer?

Post by kelsie94 »

Not sure where on SCAL that was answered but here's a link to a site that will tell you which Windows fonts that should NOT deleted.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/aboutg ... load_3.htm
Aussie Alli

Post by Aussie Alli »

Thanks so much.
craftylass

Post by craftylass »

you also need to be careful that you don't remove fonts that other software installed for example...inkscape or photoshop. They install their own fonts too and if removed will affect the running of the software....just beware.
DawnT.

Post by DawnT. »

:shock: Dumb Dumb Dumb Dumb I am so stupid, I knew in the back of my mind I heard a little voice saying it..."Dont do that it will come back to haunt you" But NOOOOOOOOO I did it anyway, I deleted the ones with the BIG RED A on them, dumb dumb dumb now hubby is going to be SOOOOO MAD :evil:
kelsie94

Post by kelsie94 »

Did you only click on "delete". If so, you'll probably find them in your recycle bin. If they are there you can restore them!
lindamac
Location: Arizona-SCAL1, SCAL2,SCAL3 Inkscape,Silhouette Cameo

Post by lindamac »

Before deleting your fonts out of your Windows font folder, export them into a new file to keep on your desk top and then if you do delete something you shouldn't, you can put them back in.
nik_9011

Post by nik_9011 »

I downloaded The Font Thing to my computer since many of you fine people say it's great....I did this so that my computer wouldnt be so bogged down with fonts, so my question is...do I delete them from my font folder now in my C drive? and will they stay in The Font Thing? Im just confused on how I can improve my computer performance and still keep my fonts. Thanks!
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Post by Sweetness4713 »

I saved all my downloaded fonts to a USB stick so my computer wasn`t so bogged down with extras and just removed them from my computer...If I want the font file I just open it up on my USB stick...
nik_9011

Post by nik_9011 »

Sweetness4713 wrote:I saved all my downloaded fonts to a USB stick so my computer wasn`t so bogged down with extras and just removed them from my computer...If I want the font file I just open it up on my USB stick...
Do you also have a handy font manager of some sort on your USB stick...I really like The Font Thing! I think I read that someone downloaded it on their USB stick also...