SCAL v2.x and Windows 8?

For your help and questions
sussann

SCAL v2.x and Windows 8?

Post by sussann »

The dreaded day has come. My Windows 7 laptop has died. I do not want a Windows 8 laptop, but I also don't want to spend a fortune getting Windows 7 and installing it on a new Windows 8 laptop. Has any one tried to install/run SCAL v.2x on a Windows 8 machine? Does the Windows 8 version of compatibility mode work?

TIA!
Sussann
Jax

Re: SCAL v2.x and Windows 8?

Post by Jax »

My question is why would you have to spend a fortune? If you have the laptop for the win7 and have the license key why not just install it on another laptop and use the same key? Though I'm not sure if anyone has gotten Scal2 to work on Win8 but I could be wrong.
If you aren't learning something new everyday you might as well just lie in a grave and wait for death.
Sesen

Post by Sesen »

I too have been trying to get SCAL2 to work on my Windows 8 laptop. I turn on the Cricut, the driver gets installed, , the firmware message 1.3 is displayed so all is good there. My SCAL2 license is on my new computer. Then when I try to cut it all freezes up at the "checking mat" stage. I wondered if it was the Cricut machine itself. I tried it on my old laptop that has Windows Vista. It's as slow as molasses, but it works. Does anyone have any suggestions. I'm heartbroken I can't cut with my new laptop. Thanks to anyone who has any advice!
cyberwebb

Post by cyberwebb »

I have SCAL 3 with windows 8 and cant download the drivers to use my cutter :(
Soraya

Post by Soraya »

I have win8 and both my SCAL2 and SCAL3 work. however, make sure you don't upgrade the cricut firmware.
SCAL 2 (cricut), SCAL 3 (Black Cat 15"), Windows 10
Sesen

Post by Sesen »

Wonderful, Soraya! I'm glad to hear it can work with Windows8! Would you mind explaining the steps you went through to get it working? I have SCAL2 and I haven't updated the firmware on my Cricut. It works fine and cuts great with Windows Vista on my old computer, but I just don't have the touch to make it work with my new Windows8. Any advice you have would be most appreciated! I'm getting a message that's a warning about using the right firmware (I don't get that with my old computer with Vista.) I know I've got the proper firmware, so I click ok to cut, then everything just freezes up on the Cricut.
amiller

Post by amiller »

Our desktop crashed and we bought a new laptop with Windows 8. I have SCAL2 (version 2.013) and reinstalled that using my disc. I have a Cricut Expression with firmware version 2.31 (I won't update the firmware). Everything appeared to go until I tried to cut my project. I get the little pop up screen asking about your Cricut version and it actually begins to cut the project but then freezes midway through cutting the shape. If I cancel the project, close SCAL2, and open it back up I can sometimes get the shape to cut completely without freezing up. HELP!! It's taken me almost 2 hours to cut a 5 piece shape. :cry:
evgedtiyr

Post by evgedtiyr »

sussann wrote:The dreaded day has come. My dbuying Windows 7 laptop has died. I do not want a Windows 8 laptop, but I also don't want to spend a fortune getting Windows 7 and installing it on a new Windows 8 laptop. Has any one tried to install/run SCAL v.2x on a Windows 8 machine? Does the Windows 8 version of compatibility mode work?

TIA!
Sussann
I meet the same problem