Personal Cricut and SCAL

thescrapgirl

Personal Cricut and SCAL

Post by thescrapgirl »

Hi all...

Hoping that you can help me out... I had my personal cricut and SCAL working wonderfully about a year ago and then I put my scrappin stuff away for a year... Now that I have it back out I attempted to reconnect my personal Cricut to my computer and activate SCAL but what happens is that it goes through the motions and then gets stuck on "checking mat" and never goes any furthur.

I updated the driver, even downloaded Cricut Craft Room and nothing... Any ideas?!?

Also, on a side note, thinking of getting the Expression 2. anyone recommend or advise against?

Thanks!!

Christina :)
mommyshome

Re: Personal Cricut and SCAL

Post by mommyshome »

When you went through Cricut Craft Room did it update your firmware? I remember there being an issue where I had to update firmware on the Cricut. I'm sure someone will have more precise info for you or you can do a search on it up at the top/right. I don't have the Personal Cricut, I have Cricut Expression and Cricut Cake Mini. I think the Cake is closer to what you have, maybe different in size. Both of my machines are working fine with SCAL2. SCAL3 won't work with any Cricut machines. Personally, I won't buy another Cricut anything because of this. I'm thinking the Silver Bullet looks mighty nice, but for now, I will run my Cricuts until there's nothing left but that may take a while, I have a back up Cricut Expression too. Good luck to you and I hope you get yours up and going soon.
My files are for personal use only. Please do not sell my files or items made from my files. Thanks.
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

The Expression2 will not work with any version of SCAL. You would be much better with a different brand machine.

What version of SCAL2 and Windows do you have? There were some issues with the original baby bug and Windows7, but the last versions of SCAL2 fixed that.

If you updated your drivers through the CraftRoom I think you are probably out of luck with SCAL2.
thescrapgirl

Post by thescrapgirl »

Thanks ladies...

I did figure it out and now my little machine works... but to clarify, if I get the Expression 2, my SCAL wont work at all with it?

So all the piecings files that I have accumulated over the years just go to waste?

Why?.... ugh....

Thanks! :?:
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Post by sstehman »

Well your SCAL files won't go to waste if you get a different machine. The Cameo and others will cut SCAL files. The eClips uses eCAL software (pretty much the same as SCAL) and you can use their files with this too. Just not with the Expression2. (If you get an Expression2 you are limited to the cartridges only.)
Sandy in PA
thescrapgirl

Post by thescrapgirl »

Thanks!

I think that I will just go with the Expression and not the Expression 2... I like to just have one machine and I have too many files bought that I don't want to not be able to use them...

I appreciate the help!!

Thanks!!
momof4

Post by momof4 »

I've been having the same problem. What did you do to fix it?

Thanks!
dragonlord666

Post by dragonlord666 »

thescrapgirl wrote:Thanks ladies...

I did figure it out and now my little machine works... but to clarify, if I get the Expression 2, my SCAL wont work at all with it?

So all the piecings files that I have accumulated over the years just go to waste?

Why?.... ugh....

Thanks! :?:
Why? because provocraft want you to use the machines as they intended, and buy carts, that's is how they make money and what you agreed to when you brought a cartridge based machine, you will buy the carts and use the files others say you should.

if you buy a different machine (NOT CRICUT and NOT cartridge based) then your files can be used with that, scal 3 will open them and work with the rest of the cutters out there (at present)

none of the current cricut machine work with scal, remember the big court case? that stopped you using 3rd party (I.E.scal) software with the machine because provocraft were bringing out their own software, BUT you still have to buy the carts or files to use it. so buying the expression won't work either as NONE of the cricut machines, unless they are 2nd hand and not updated firmware to current, will work

Gaz
Cutters: Phoenix Silver Bullet 18", Black Cat Cougar 18", Silhouette Cameo & Cameo 4
Software: SCAL 5 Pro, Inkscape, Gimp
Computer:IMac running Mojave
mitsim
Location: SoCal (Windows 7, Eclips1, ECAL 1.500, Photoshop, Illustrator

Post by mitsim »

and, remember that if you do get a new machine that will use SCAL3, you can upgrade to that for free. And, it will not affect your SCAL2, in case you want to keep you personal Cricut. The programs install in different folders, so you would have access to both of them. I agree with the other, that getting a new non-Cricut machine is the way to go. You're not really learning new software, so that part would be easy. And, you would be able to do so much more. And, from what I hear, the cuts with the other machines (Cameo, Eclips) are much more accurate than the bugs. And, thinking for the future, there's a whole non-bug, non-cartridge world out there that you will be able to grow in with your creativity. Soap box over. :-)
tezi777

Post by tezi777 »

I am having the same problem. My SCAL2 is also stuck at either checking my cutting mat or cartridge. How do I fix it?