Arachnid 3d Model

Louise-Paisley

Arachnid 3d Model

Post by Louise-Paisley »

This model is superb, the construction is by far the sturdiest so far. The head has lots of parts and requires some trial and error to find the assembly order but once you have it it all locks together really well.

I have figured a way to easily adjust the slots for any thickness media, it is really quite a simple idea so not sure why it did not dawn on me earlier. Unfortunately you cant do this in SCAL so it will need a bit of inkscapery - if anyone wants it adjusting for a particular media thickness and cannot grasp Inkscape give me a shout and I will do it for you and post it here ;)

***EDIT***

Apparently you can do the slots in SCAL..

Import the file, ungroup

Select the slots object, in the properties panel set to Shadow and adjust shadow size to suit slot size you want

Select both objects and Path->Back minus Front

The file has two objects, the red filled spider parts and the blue stroke slots. If you wish to re-size the model (it is currently A3 which makes a spider about 220mm x 220mm x 85mm high) then select both objects and group them to resize together then ungroup again.

If you prefer inkscape..

To make the slots the correct size for your media, select the blue slots object and set the stroke width to slightly less than the thickness of your media - for 1mm board I used 0.8mm - then do Path->Stroke To Path.

Now select both objects and use Path->Difference.

That should cut the slots in the model suitable for your media and you are ready to cut :)

Here it is..
Attachments
Spider-3.jpg
Spider-3.jpg (90.1 KiB) Viewed 6205 times
Spider-1.jpg
Spider-1.jpg (76.41 KiB) Viewed 6205 times
Spider Model.svg
(57.36 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
Last edited by Louise-Paisley on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Software: Windows 7 (64 bit) - SCAL 3 - Inkscape - Illustrator CS4 - Signcut Pro
Cutter 1: Blackcat Cougar 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
Cutter 2: Phoenix Silver Bullet Pro 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
Rachell

Re: Arachnid 3d Model

Post by Rachell »

I am happy the information I shared on the Black cat US forum was useful Loopey.
Louise-Paisley

Post by Louise-Paisley »

Rachell wrote:I am happy the information I shared on the Black cat US forum was useful Loopey.
Not to me, I use inkscape 99.9% of the time
Software: Windows 7 (64 bit) - SCAL 3 - Inkscape - Illustrator CS4 - Signcut Pro
Rachell

Post by Rachell »

Here are the visuals I shared in the BC US forum

import into scal ungroup- select your blue lines the go to shadow it changes the size of the lines enter the size you want.click enter on keyboard. size is now the size you choose image 1
image two show what it looks like after .
select all go to path back minus front it will then look like this image 3
visuals for those who want to change slot size in scal without using inkscape.
Attachments
image 3.JPG
image 3.JPG (165.21 KiB) Viewed 6181 times
scal image 2.JPG
scal image 2.JPG (168.22 KiB) Viewed 6181 times
scal image one.JPG
scal image one.JPG (201.72 KiB) Viewed 6181 times
Penny Duncan

Post by Penny Duncan »

AND.....It's only fair to give credit where credit is due!!! Rachel worked hard to figure out the answer to this and she deserves the credit for doing so....I think it's GREAT that you know how to use Inkscape so well.....I do as well......very proficient in the program....but this is an SCAL forum and Rachel does a WONDERFUL job of explaining how to do things with pretty much any program...and she is truly the QUEEN of 3D projects..........
Rachell

Post by Rachell »

Thank you Penny
When it was stated it could not be done in Scal3 I thought wait I know it can and why use inkscape when it was not needed.
I use inkscape also but not for everything, if Scal can do what I want it to then do it in scal.
Penny Duncan

Post by Penny Duncan »

Exactly....while I LOVE Inkscape.....My hope is that with ALL the WONDERFUL improvements Brandon is making to SCAL....and he's made a bunch.....is that one day I will be able to do all of my creating and cutting in just 1 program...that would be TOO awesome!!!!!! Great job girl!!!!
Louise-Paisley

Post by Louise-Paisley »

Penny Duncan wrote:AND.....It's only fair to give credit where credit is due!!! Rachel worked hard to figure out the answer to this and she deserves the credit for doing so....I think it's GREAT that you know how to use Inkscape so well.....I do as well......very proficient in the program....but this is an SCAL forum and Rachel does a WONDERFUL job of explaining how to do things with pretty much any program...and she is truly the QUEEN of 3D projects..........
Had I realised that shadow style and how to use it was intellectual copyright I would have sought permission to reproduce it! I wonder if that means I am eligible for a claim against the hundreds, nay thousands of snippets of information I have given which have been posted and reposted time and time again.. Then again, I don't care, I just help people and they are perfectly welcome to do what they wish with the information I give them. I fact, the more people they tell the better because it saves me having to type it over and over again!

But if its all about pats on the back and trumpet blowing I am happy to oblige..

For anyone who does not know, Rachel suggested using shadow style to convert a stroke to a path for which I will be forever in her debt despite the fact that I will never actually use it myself, please do not repost the information anywhere else without acknowledging that she invented the function or words to that effect.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
gj1

Post by gj1 »

Thank you for the designs, Louise, and everyone for their knowledge shared here...I know some little kids that might just love receiving these in an envelope for Christmas...I will come back and get them, if I decide to make them for that. AWESOME.
My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.
Louise-Paisley

Post by Louise-Paisley »

gj1 wrote:Thank you for the designs, Louise, and everyone for their knowledge shared here...I know some little kids that might just love receiving these in an envelope for Christmas...I will come back and get them, if I decide to make them for that. AWESOME.
Will keep the kids amused trying to put them together.. it did me LOL