3D Butterfly model/ puzzle

Louise-Paisley

3D Butterfly model/ puzzle

Post by Louise-Paisley »

You are going to need a fairly serious cutter for this one I am afraid, this is designed to be cut from 0.7mm (0.030In) chipboard, if your cutter can manage this then give it a shot.

I have not cut it yet due to a lack of chipboard but as far as I can tell it 'should' fit together. One or two of the slots bay be a bit tight but if they are a quick rub with sandpaper should fix it.

I have a whole bunch of these I am working on, if there is enough call for it I will see about modifying them to be cut from thinner card - although obviously they will not be as sturdy.
butterfly.jpg
butterfly.jpg (29.62 KiB) Viewed 7442 times
butterfly.png
butterfly.png (55.69 KiB) Viewed 7442 times
butterfly_0-7mm_030inch_chip.svg
(67.88 KiB) Downloaded 631 times
Software: Windows 7 (64 bit) - SCAL 3 - Inkscape - Illustrator CS4 - Signcut Pro
Cutter 1: Blackcat Cougar 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
Cutter 2: Phoenix Silver Bullet Pro 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
Louise-Paisley

Re: 3D Butterfly model/ puzzle

Post by Louise-Paisley »

If anyone does cut it I would appreciate a photo of the assembled model ;)
Software: Windows 7 (64 bit) - SCAL 3 - Inkscape - Illustrator CS4 - Signcut Pro
craftygal0417

Post by craftygal0417 »

That is very cool! Thanks for sharing!
~Missy~
Eclips, Ecal 1.002, Ink .48, Win 7, Expression, SCAL 2.044
jrichards

Post by jrichards »

That is very cool. Hopefully I will try to cut it this week. I just got some chipboard from Tyler so my Lynx and I will give it a try. Thanks for sharing.
Jan
Louise-Paisley

Post by Louise-Paisley »

jrichards wrote:That is very cool. Hopefully I will try to cut it this week. I just got some chipboard from Tyler so my Lynx and I will give it a try. Thanks for sharing.
Jan
That would be great, let us know how it goes please ;)
gj1

Post by gj1 »

I cut this very small out of cardstock. It was fun to put together...but delicate out of cardstock, this is why I made it small. Finished it stands 4" tall and 4" long. I did do a 'simplify'(I use this often if it does not seem to alter the design, to have less nodes) on the design in scal...and it cut like butter. I used an all-purpose glue, a dot on the underside at all the points of intersection.

Stronger material would be much better than what I used...mine can not be handled at all.

These would be fun to include in a bday card to someone, for a mind teaser. Or, if glued secure...a mobile. I had to look at the picture of the finished project first posted to figure out how to... :)

Thanks!
My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.
Louise-Paisley

Post by Louise-Paisley »

I got some 1mm (0.04") thick mountboard today so cut it from that, Although I made it with slots for the thinner chipboard it actually fits together very well with the thicker mountboard so for chipboard the slots mat need to be made a shade thinner.

Anyway, I got a few photos of it before my stupid bengal cat decided to attack it and eat it!

Sorry about hogging screen space, with hindsight I should have made them a bit smaller :D
Attachments
Butterfly-1mm Mountboard-7.jpg
Butterfly-1mm Mountboard-7.jpg (106.91 KiB) Viewed 7379 times
Butterfly-1mm Mountboard-4.jpg
Butterfly-1mm Mountboard-4.jpg (125.29 KiB) Viewed 7379 times
Butterfly-1mm Mountboard-1.jpg
Butterfly-1mm Mountboard-1.jpg (133.15 KiB) Viewed 7379 times
ThatsMrsJ

Post by ThatsMrsJ »

Thanks for this I can't wait to try this in all honesty I have gotten bored with my cricut and needed something new to do with it.
Louise-Paisley

Post by Louise-Paisley »

ThatsMrsJ wrote:Thanks for this I can't wait to try this in all honesty I have gotten bored with my cricut and needed something new to do with it.
I think in all honesty this will be a bit beyond a cricut, in order for the parts to fit together securely it needs to be cut from chipboard.

I could rework the file to cut from thinner media, I will look at that when I get some free time ;)
gj1

Post by gj1 »

I cut this from cardstock, pics above Louise's(you may not have seen them, Louise...I think we posted at almost the same time)...it is still standing on the shelf...I did glue it, but it could not be handled at all or it would fall apart.
My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.