Glass etching

wynnepam

Glass etching

Post by wynnepam »

I just attempted to etch a vase that is about 12" high and about 6" wide. I left the etching cream on there for 7 minutes but when I washed it off, you could barely see the design. You had to hold it up to a light to see it. Have you ever had this happen before? I am going to retry it and put lots of cream on it and let it sit for 15 minutes. Maybe that will work. Any advice???
pastda3

Re: Glass etching

Post by pastda3 »

I've never etched, but if you search around the internet, some say to leave it on for about 10 minutes and make sure you put it on pretty thick.
SCAL1, SCAL2 V2.044, SCAL3. SCAL4 XPsp3, Windows 7, Windows 10-64 bit, Ink.46, Cricut E, Silhouette Cameo
***My files are not to be sold and are for personal use only.***
Busgoddess10

Post by Busgoddess10 »

We keep the cream on for 30 minutes and it works like a dream!
wynnepam

Post by wynnepam »

Thanks. The hard part is trying to get the vinyl back on the glass correctly.
pennsylvaniakate

Post by pennsylvaniakate »

Try it again, but some glass won't etch. I did a candle holder once that wouldn't etch. I would imagine it was how the glass was fired for the heat of the candle, and I don't see why they would do that to a vase, but it is a possibility. Hopefully etching for a longer time will do the trick!
louietw

Post by louietw »

did you wash the vase with soap and water and let it air dry, then wipe it down with alcohol. If you don't wipe the glass with alcohol, it won't adhere.
TheresaTT

Post by TheresaTT »

make sure you glob the etching cream on (you can scrape it off and reuse). ALso, i do pyrex dishes for wedding gifts and when i put it on i leave it on for about an hour. the longer the better. I have never wiped with alcohol tho, i will have to give that a try. But, i have had no problems.
Theresa
Windows 7, Scal 2.044( to use with my E ) , Expression, Inkscape 9, USCutter SC series cutter, Scal 4... Pro
wynnepam

Post by wynnepam »

Thanks everyone. I did it a second time. Took a while to get the vinyl back in the right place. It came out ok. I will start leaving the cream on for at least 30 minutes from now on.
louietw

Post by louietw »

here are some glasses that I etched for my cousins wedding
Attachments
back glass.jpg
back glass.jpg (151.54 KiB) Viewed 7947 times
front glasses.jpg
front glasses.jpg (119.14 KiB) Viewed 7947 times
gj1

Post by gj1 »

This job looks so professional...I love the intricate birds...just wonderful...you did a FANTASTIC JOB on EVERYTHING!!!
My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.