Sizzix eclips + Sure Cuts a Lot

Discuss various cutting machines for SCAL
craftedge
Site Admin

Sizzix eclips + Sure Cuts a Lot

Post by craftedge »

Dear Sizzix and Sure Cuts A Lot fans,

At CHA Summer in July, Sizzix and SCAL announced that they are working together to launch a new version of the very popular SCAL software that will be exclusively compatible with the Sizzix eclips machine. With the unique features and capabilities of the eclips machine, it is necessary to develop a “stand alone” software solution that allows the user to leverage such machine features as scoring, laser cut preview and others, which are not available on other consumer electronic cutters.

[Update] "eCAL" for the Sizzix eclips is now available at
http://www.craftedge.com/purchase/craft ... _ecal.html
jrichards

Re: Sizzix eclips + Sure Cuts a Lot

Post by jrichards »

WOW AIN'T LIFE STRANGE ???!!!! Here we are all hating PC because of what they did to you and others and you are working with them to develop a new machine and software to go with it. A lot of the anger at PC was developed over years of frustration with their horrible lack of customer service and their attitude that they had the best thing going and didn't care whether you, the customer, liked it or not because you really had no choice. That attitude held true with ALL of their products, not just the Cricut. There is an old saying that my mama used to say, "If you lay down with dogs, you are going to get fleas." I truly hope that CE isn't making a big mistake with this and I really feel it would have been better for them to inform us of this collusion way before now. Mind boggling, just mind boggling!
Jan
gj1

Post by gj1 »

There were also many of us wishing that all the companies would get along and collaborate...
As long as CE customer service does not change...I am okay with them all working together to make things GOOD.
I never hated PC...I love my machine and the creative interest that they led me to.
This is about business, and as long as there is never a 'special round group' in SCAL, I am okay with it.
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Post by sstehman »

If I am reading this correctly, and after viewing the CHA clip on SVG Cuts, the other machines do not have the capability to do laser previewing, etc. It would make sense if the Sizzix does that they would want software that is compatible with the specific features of their machines. This seems like a win win situation for SCAL and Sizzix and the consumers that have that machine.

As long as SCAL will be available for use with other machines, I personally see no harm but only future benefits in this relationship.
Sandy in PA
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

Sizzix is a competitor of Provo Craft and is doing what PC should have done. PC's loss is going to be everyone else's gain.
Butterfly

Post by Butterfly »

HIP.... HIP.....HOORAY!!!
Scrappin My Way Through
Going Where I Please and Pleasing Where I Go

Windows XP, Expression, SCAL 2.041, Inkscape 47
http://darliciouscreations.weebly.com/
gj1

Post by gj1 »

I investigated and found a letter on Splitcoaststamper site, date May 19, 2011, where Sizzix CS responded to a question about who they are owned by now, and the name of the parent company is Ellison, and they have no affiliation to PC. Apparently they use to but do not now.
craftedge
Site Admin

Post by craftedge »

Ellison is the company behind the Sizzix brand and is a privately held company which has no affiliation with ProvoCraft.

Ellison and ProvoCraft did work together over 5 years ago, but went their separate ways in 2006. Ellison solely owns the Sizzix brand and is a competitor with ProvoCraft products.
janekinso

Post by janekinso »

I may be confused, but I thought that the whole idea behind SCAL was to allow people to create without using cartidges. I watched the CHA video, and what I got from it was that the Sizzix uses cartridges. Also, the cutter seems to me to be a titch more complicated to use than my Expression. Am I on another planet?? :oops:
jane
Creativity is a continual surprise.--Ray Bradbury

Silver Bullet 13, SCAL 4.038, Win7 64 bit
gj1

Post by gj1 »

Looked easy peasy to me...loved the easy line up and PERFECT cut for print and cut. The way it also helps to utilize the small pieces of paper. AND, it is giving the best of both worlds with use of carts if desired OR just use SCAL. GOOD for EVERYONE.
That is what I saw.

PS: AND the price sounded quite reasonable.