The Font Thing - Font Manager

scrappindeb

Re: The Font Thing - Font Manager

Post by scrappindeb »

Gardenwife wrote:
lovebeingamom wrote:O.K. now I'm a bit confused. How do you have fonts in the font thing without them being installed?
That's the nature of how font managers work. The font files are not "in" The Font Thing (TFT), but are still on your computer's hard drive where they always were. When you use TFT to uninstall fonts, the files remain on the hard drive as always, but they become invisible to Windows in that Windows won't load and use them in programs. This frees up system resources. So, if you use TFT to uninstall (deactivate) all but your most-used fonts, your system will run much more smoothly and likely be faster. When you want a font for a certain task, you just go to TFT and install (reactivate) the font you want to use.

Hope that makes better sense! :)

I have had TFT on previous computer on now on laptop Vista and on the laptop, I cannot get it work right. It will not "uninstall" fonts off of it when I try to do that and I can't get new fonts to intall on it. Any tips will be greatly appreciated! TIA!
Scrappindeb

Have SCAL 2.044, Cricut Expression
scrappindeb

Post by scrappindeb »

scrappindeb wrote:
Gardenwife wrote:
lovebeingamom wrote:O.K. now I'm a bit confused. How do you have fonts in the font thing without them being installed?
That's the nature of how font managers work. The font files are not "in" The Font Thing (TFT), but are still on your computer's hard drive where they always were. When you use TFT to uninstall fonts, the files remain on the hard drive as always, but they become invisible to Windows in that Windows won't load and use them in programs. This frees up system resources. So, if you use TFT to uninstall (deactivate) all but your most-used fonts, your system will run much more smoothly and likely be faster. When you want a font for a certain task, you just go to TFT and install (reactivate) the font you want to use.

Hope that makes better sense! :)

I have had TFT on previous computer on now on laptop Vista and on the laptop, I cannot get it work right. It will not "uninstall" fonts off of it when I try to do that and I can't get new fonts to intall on it. Any tips will be greatly appreciated! TIA!
I just tried again to extract a zipped font folder and then take then unzipped font out of the unzipped folder and pull it into TFT...I get a popup that says Access denied to Windows:Fonts. Do you know what I am doing wrong or how to tweak this?
Scrappindeb

scrappindeb

Post by scrappindeb »

:roll: OK! I just figured it out. In order to install and uninstall on Vista, at least with Windows Vista Home Premium, you need to right click on The Font Thing icon on the desktop and go into Compatibility and check: run this program as XP (Service Pack 2) AND also click onto: Run this program as Administrator. After I did this, I can now install and uninstall the fonts on the laptop. Finally! I have been tearing my hair out for a long time to get this to work! Phew!
Scrappindeb

GrammyKrausse

Post by GrammyKrausse »

To get any font or ding in Vista to install you have to have it unzipped in a folder, any folder will do, I call my folder GrammysFonts and then right click on the ttf's and it will auto install to your Windows font folder.

As for uninstalling I have never done that before so can't help you.