The Font Thing - Font Manager

wreed06

The Font Thing - Font Manager

Post by wreed06 »

Here's one font manager people have used to organize their fonts: http://www.download.com/The-Font-Thing/ ... 38296.html
Gardenwife

Re: The Font Thing - Font Manager

Post by Gardenwife »

The Font Thing is wonderful. I've used it for several years. The best thing is, you can keep the majority of your fonts uninstalled so your whole system runs faster. Then, when you need an unusual font for something, you can quickly load it on the fly. It's great being able to view fonts by family and all, too. Great program and the price is right!
wreed06 wrote:Here's one font manager people have used to organize their fonts: http://www.download.com/The-Font-Thing/ ... 38296.html
That's not cat hair; those are embellishments.
Gardenwife's Plot
Jiminy Cricut - Considering selling this domain name. Not sure what I want to do with it!
Marly

Post by Marly »

Thanks for commenting on this program Gardenwife! I have seen postings about that program but was so used to the Free&Easy Font Viewer that I never bothered looking at this one. I decided to download it after reading your pro comments that the files can easily be installed or uninstalled. WELL!! I'm deleting the Free&Easy Font Viewer now! The Font Thing is awesome!! Thanks again!
Gardenwife

Post by Gardenwife »

You're welcome! It's an oldie, but a goodie. It's been floating around since 2000 or so, I think.
Gardenwife's Plot
Jiminy Cricut - Considering selling this domain name. Not sure what I want to do with it!
btails

Post by btails »

I was wondering about downloading this to Vista...it doesn't mention that it is for Vista...
Gardenwife

Post by Gardenwife »

Hi, btails. Happy new year! I use The Font Thing on both my Vista laptop and my XP desktop. You will likely need to run it in XP compatibility mode. Doing that is simple:

1. Right click on the program's shortcut
2. Click Properties
3. Click the Compatibility tab
4. Click to put a checkmark next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for"
5. Click the gray down arrow on the menu just below that and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)"
6. Click OK

I've attached a screenprint of the properties screen, too.

Hope that helps! :D
Attachments
Screenprint of shortcut properties screen, compatibility mode.
Screenprint of shortcut properties screen, compatibility mode.
XP-compatibility-mode.jpg (129.77 KiB) Viewed 10744 times
Gardenwife's Plot
btails

Post by btails »

great instructions ..and I sure need the pictures...thanks a million !!!
renee1610

Post by renee1610 »

Does anyone have a newer link to this? I tried the one on download.com and it isn't working. I want one that is safe as oppsed to one that I find just by searching the net.
Thanks!
lovebeingamom

Post by lovebeingamom »

[quote="Gardenwife"]The Font Thing is wonderful. I've used it for several years. The best thing is, you can keep the majority of your fonts uninstalled so your whole system runs faster. Then, when you need an unusual font for something, you can quickly load it on the fly. It's great being able to view fonts by family and all, too. Great program and the price is right!

O.K. now I'm a bit confused. How do you have fonts in the font thing without them being installed?
Gardenwife

Post by Gardenwife »

lovebeingamom wrote:O.K. now I'm a bit confused. How do you have fonts in the font thing without them being installed?
That's the nature of how font managers work. The font files are not "in" The Font Thing (TFT), but are still on your computer's hard drive where they always were. When you use TFT to uninstall fonts, the files remain on the hard drive as always, but they become invisible to Windows in that Windows won't load and use them in programs. This frees up system resources. So, if you use TFT to uninstall (deactivate) all but your most-used fonts, your system will run much more smoothly and likely be faster. When you want a font for a certain task, you just go to TFT and install (reactivate) the font you want to use.

Hope that makes better sense! :)
Gardenwife's Plot