Calling all computer gurus! I messed up!

For your help and questions
sillymommy

Calling all computer gurus! I messed up!

Post by sillymommy »

Please help me! I bought some files at myvinyldesigner.com. I downloaded them to my desktop. I usually double click the file and it unzips it and I extract the files. This time, it asked me what program I wanted to open it with. I didn't know how to answer that because before I had always just double clicked. I don't know what program opens them. Anyway, now it is making me choose a program and now none of my svg files will open! Waaaahhhh! I have tried Adobe, Microsoft Photo Editor and everything else on the list of choices. Every time I choose one, it changes all my icons to that icon. I am losing my mind. I just want to play with my new files!!!!! I emailed myvinyldesigner, but I fear it will take until Monday to get a reply. Can anyone help?
wagnerdelia

Re: Calling all computer gurus! I messed up!

Post by wagnerdelia »

Do you know what extension your file is?

If its a zip file, try putting .zip at the end.

Have you downloaded these particular files before? You may have downloaded a file that requires a particular application to open it up.
www.scrapbooksvg.com
Don't miss out on my 48HOUR freebies. LIKE my http://www.facebook.com/scrapbooksvg/ to receive notifications on all new 48HOUR freebies as they become available.
gj1

Post by gj1 »

That is upsetting when this stuff happens. I am not a guru, but is there a browse button to choose another program, like ink or scal, if they are svg's. If it is asking you what program you want to use to unzip or extract....isn't that windows explorer, now. I would just look for more options in a browse button.

Last resort, I go to Maintanence in the Start area, and to Back Up And Restore to an earlier date when everything was working properly.

This has something to do with settings in Autoplay I believe. You could read about it in Windows Help.

You could try copy pasting the files to your documents folder and see if they open right from there, instead of from the desktop...just another wild suggestion...sometimes they work...or restart your computer and maybe it will work right then.

It is so confusing when stuff just changes on it's own for no reason!
sillymommy

Post by sillymommy »

Yes, it has .zip. I have bought files from them before. I have Windows Vista. Now it won't let me open any zip file. I need to get back to whatever default Vista uses, but I don't know how. :?
wagnerdelia

Post by wagnerdelia »

If putting .zip after the file name doesnt work, email me and I can walk you through some steps.

delia@deliaaz.com
www.scrapbooksvg.com
Don't miss out on my 48HOUR freebies. LIKE my http://www.facebook.com/scrapbooksvg/ to receive notifications on all new 48HOUR freebies as they become available.
sillymommy

Post by sillymommy »

Gj1, I can't unzip the file. I tried to Browse in the "OPen With" and picked Internet Explorer. It wen't nuts and the screen kept flashing like crazy. It changed all my file icons on my desktop to "e's", so I changed it. I have now chosen everything on the menu. I'm clueless. I went on a Vista help forum and I downloaded a default fix, but it didn't work for me. I had so much I wanted to work on tonight. AAAAAAACCCCKKKK!
wagnerdelia

Post by wagnerdelia »

Ok, forget my last post.

By right clicking on your file, click on open with then looking for the zip program that windows uses OR...
You can go to http://www.extractnow.com and download the free extractor. ITS A GREAT PROGRAM!!! You can use this program to extract your files instead of windows.
www.scrapbooksvg.com
gj1

Post by gj1 »

This is usually when I do the BACKUP AND RESTORE in the Maintanence area of START to an early date. You have to follow the directions and it takes about 15 minutes. When I can't figure something out...then that is when I go to the guru shop :) Good Luck. Perhaps get the other extractor that was mentioned, and maybe that will work just fine.
sillymommy

Post by sillymommy »

I downloaded the extractnow. I dragged my zip file to it and it tried. It displayed a "can't read the archive" error and couldn't unzip it. Hmmmm....if I do the restore to an earlier date (like yesterday) will it erase my downloaded files?
wagnerdelia

Post by wagnerdelia »

That sounds like you have a corrupt file.

It should have opened it with extractnow

I sent you an email regarding an alternate step.
www.scrapbooksvg.com