Renaming Font Names

Share your favorite fonts to use in Sure Cuts A Lot
DebraK

Renaming Font Names

Post by DebraK »

In the system FONT folder there are Font Names and Font Filenames (along with file size, last date Modified, and Atributes). I would like to know if anyone knows how to change the Font Name. This is the name that is listed, for example, in MS WORD under format fonts. What I'd like to do is rename all my wingdings, dingbats, and other 'shapes' type fonts to group them together at the end of the list. I'm also thinking of organizing fonts by some sort of 'type' like: formal, whimsical, block, etc, etc. I'd do that by prefixing it by a 2-4 character code...just a thought. Or, is it possible to create subfolders under the Font folder that programs can identify/find--MS WORD, SCAL, etc? That would be good, too.
I have a lot of fonts and would love to get them better organized. I'm not familiar with a Font Organizer--can anyone enlighten me and/or recommend one or more?
Any and all comments welcome... I'm new to the group btw, hi! My name is DebraK. :geek:
firstcut

Re: Renaming Font Names

Post by firstcut »

Renaming fonts is not a simple process and has to be done with a font or resource editor program. It's probably not the best idea either because so many programs and documents are looking for the old name.
The Windows version of SCAL lets you temporarily install fonts so what you can do is to put your fonts in a folder besides the font folder and then organize them into subfolders however you want. This won't help if you want to use them in other programs, though.
I'm sure some of the Windows people will ring in here with font manager suggestions.