help making a wordbook

craftymamma

help making a wordbook

Post by craftymamma »

i want to make a baby word book as a gift, but don't like the traditional wordbooks that the letters match up evenly. i have no clue on how to make the svg and would love the help of all you talented, wonderful people!!! i found a pic of one like what i'm thinking of. can anyone make one similar??? thanks so much!!!!!
Attachments
BABY_BOY_CHIPBOARD_ALBUM.jpg
BABY_BOY_CHIPBOARD_ALBUM.jpg (77.2 KiB) Viewed 6422 times
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Re: help making a wordbook

Post by Sweetness4713 »

If you have SCAL2 just make a rectangle and overlap a letter and the rectangle.. Attach the two by selecting the 2 images together and go path/union... In inkscape you do the same.. use the union option after selecting the two pieces.. then make another rectangle and make it a little longer than the first and attache the next letter the same way.. and so on :D
craftymamma

Post by craftymamma »

i'm trying. i just don't know what i'm doing wrong. i'm following dan99's tutorial for inkscape and can't even seem to get my rectangle copied and pasted. i'm going to keep trying, i really suck at this lol. i have scal 1 btw. arrrgggg. i'm sure there's a light that's going to go on at any minute for me so i realize what i'm doing wrong.
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

One hint, especially if you are using Inkscape 0.47 is to Not convert your text to Path unless you need to edit it before using Union. Just select your letter and your rectangle and use Path/Union.

Are you using a Mac? There was an issue with one of the Mac settings and copy/paste with vectors. If you are, let us know and one of us will look up what you need to change.
craftymamma

Post by craftymamma »

i'm on windows vista. i'm trying to follow dan99's tutorial and can't even get past the part where i make the rectangle and copy and paste an additional one to put to the side. i just don't know what i'm doing wrong. i've only done very simple things so far on inkscape and this seems like it's not going to work well for me lol. maybe i need to watch some simple basic tutorials first, i'm obviously making a simple error but not sure what.
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Post by Sweetness4713 »

copy and paste is you just click on the rectangle right click then copy and paste beside it... Make sure when you are trying to union your letter to the rectangle you click both images and overlap the edge of the rectangle to the letter.. then hit path/union.
Sweetness4713

Post by Sweetness4713 »

Hopefully this helps you
craftymamma

Post by craftymamma »

that's the thing,
i'm doing that, but it's not copying and pasting. very strange. not sure if dan99 did something in between steps that he didn't say and i'm missing something. i've been trying and trying to get this right and follow along to make this but i'm just about to give it up!!!! i'm getting so very frustrated that i can't even get it to copy and paste...it's the simplest thing in the world, right???
craftymamma

Post by craftymamma »

when i try to copy and past the original disappears. i'm not sure what's going on.
craftymamma

Post by craftymamma »

i think a setting must be messed up on my inkscape. i bypassed that part and went on to try to get a letter on the page and the rectangle disappears when i click the page. i am thinking inkscape is just not my friend right now!