There is a Gazelle in my future...

For your help and questions
AnointedHands

There is a Gazelle in my future...

Post by AnointedHands »

So close, i am waiting for UPS right now.

Yes, I took the plunge and moved on pass the Cricut. Gazelle has Print and Cut so I am seriously drooling. I am sure I will still use the E because sometimes I have to use both my machines to get a project finished (Procrastination is my middle name) so I am sure I will be using an E and the Gazelle and hopefully there will be no distinction between the two cuts.

I am so excited but will come back often. I still love being able to design using INK. I have to learn the software that comes with the Gazelle and I read that converting to dxf from INK .47 doesn't agree with the software for Gaz. I hope the learning curve is not too steep.

Althea
Doin the Bug...ain't nothin wrong if you wanna do da Bug all nite long...
talanhart

Re: There is a Gazelle in my future...

Post by talanhart »

Let us know how you like it?
Todd
AnointedHands

Post by AnointedHands »

Will do...I am sure it's gonna be a challenge but I feel it will be worth it. There is so much more you can do with it.

Althea
lylacfey

Post by lylacfey »

Althea, Congratulations on your Gazelle. I have one too and love her very much.

Get a ruler for Print & Cut. Really watch Jules and Terri's videos. That is the best advice I can give you. :) You can find the videos over at BossKut forum's. I am sure Terri is already getting you started.

I am not trying to scare you but there is a learning curve. You just the Porsche of die cutting machines. Don't you worry watch all the videos and do all the tutorials and you will be a pro in no time. I picked it up really fast.

I still use Inkscape to design and convert in Gazelle. Yes, it's a bit tricky but can be done. The first thing is DXF comes in huge like a giant but resizing is easy. The big problem is nodes because no matter how you convert in any of these machines it's better to cut from the software you originally created the design in. They all bumble your nodes sometimes in the tens of thousands when you import. Trust me I have a Wishblade, Gazelle, & Cricut's so I have seen it all when it comes to node editing. Sometimes your DXF doesn't come all the way in so you will have bit and pieces missing. This has happened to me more than once when I have downloaded a file from another designer.

The Gazelle cuts smooth and she is a beauty. You will just be in awe watching her cut. Funtime is addictive. I have 2009 but your getting 2010 with the Rhinestone and Lattice feature. I am so jealous, lol.

I can't wait to see what you make with her. Trust me you are going to love her by month's end you will really know die cutters. :) If you need help you can ask me. I have my Cricut's too. I love my girls. They definitely have a place in my craft room. I use both the Gazelle and Cricut on the same project. I work with a lot of mixed media. :)
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

I almost bit on that offer but they sold out. I have a question for you lyla, can you cut roll vinyl with the Gazelle? I am having to give up on mac compatibility but I really want the ability to use any pen without jiggle or stutter, do print and cuts and cut roll vinyl. The other things are just gravy.
AnointedHands

Post by AnointedHands »

I got it yesterday and couldn't really play cuz it was my daughter's last night with us before she goes back to Iraq and she just wanted us to all be together and have family time so I complied. I was racing back and forth from the family room to my craft room. I did get the software loaded and I got to cut one things and then I settled down...everybody was laughing at me...they just don't understand.

I watched some of the videos at work yesterday and have watched some today. I don't mind the learning curve cuz I pick up pretty quickly and I am not afraid to try. Loading the paper was a challenge cuz I was trying to do it without reading the instructions and I knew one of those buttons had to load the paper since I couldn't just push it in (yes, I tried to just push it in).

I read that INK .46 works for exporting dxf and I still have that loaded, tried it and it worked so I think I will start there and learn how to cut the different colors...that is my plan for now. Can't even play this weekend cuz i'm going out of town...people just don't understand.

I was looking at the ecraft but changed my mind and decided to go with the Gazelle and still might get the ecraft later. I love the idea of no mats and the paper just loading from the paper tray esp. when you have to do multiple cuts.

I will surely PM u if I have something I can't figure out.

Thanks
Althea
kiwilotus87

Post by kiwilotus87 »

This is interesting. congrats to those who own a gazelle. I am researching it up too as I am wanting a gazelle. I am hesitant to buy the ecraft because the idea of no mat takes away scraps. For instance, If I have a 4 by 4 inch piece of scrap I wanted to use to make a scallop, then I wouldn't be able to because there is no mat to put it on. At least, this is to my knowledge. I like to utilize all my scraps -- hence, scrapbooking!
pennsylvaniakate

Post by pennsylvaniakate »

You can use scraps with the ECraft. I forget the exact size, 3"x3" maybe? It does tell on their site.
AnointedHands

Post by AnointedHands »

kiwilotus87 wrote:For instance, If I have a 4 by 4 inch piece of scrap I wanted to use to make a scallop, then I wouldn't be able to because there is no mat to put it on.
Don't forget you still have your Cricut. I have two E's and a baby (baby hasn't done anything in years). I plan to keep one of the E's cuz sometimes I have large projects and I need to have two machines working at one time. I think the main challenge will be to keep the shape consistent between the E and the Gazelle machines.
sandyj

Post by sandyj »

firstcut wrote:I almost bit on that offer but they sold out. I have a question for you lyla, can you cut roll vinyl with the Gazelle?
Not lyla, but in theory, you can cut roll vinyl, as the gazelle cuts longer than 24". However, in reality, you have to feed the vinyl VERY straight or it quickly feeds in on a slant. And you have to buy vinyl cut down to 13 and some-odd inches to be the right width.