Cutting Vinyl

For your help and questions
creative designs

Cutting Vinyl

Post by creative designs »

I have yet to find a good depth /pressure to cut vinyl. I wanted to cut the vinyl and not the white backing, so I can add the transfer tape and sell wall art. However I have tried different depths and pressures and it either is not cutting all the way or cutting to deep. Or lifting the vinyl up on smaller pieces. Can anyone please let me know what depth/pressure/speed combinations work best for you.
Thank you for any comments.
TheresaTT

Re: Cutting Vinyl

Post by TheresaTT »

i think there is a diff. on all the machines. My baby bug uses all settings on 3 but my E - well, i haven't figured those out good yet. it seems to be diff. each time. i haven't played with it enough yet to narrow down which button to change and be able to leave yet. i am usually rushing to make a cut of vinyl so one may be too deep and the other just fine.
Theresa
Windows 7, Scal 2.044( to use with my E ) , Expression, Inkscape 9, USCutter SC series cutter, Scal 4... Pro
kiwilotus87

Post by kiwilotus87 »

For my expression, when I cut vinyl I have my Speed at 3, Pressure at 3, and blade speed at 6. It does cut through a little on the white backing of the vinyl but it does not bother me. Hope this helps ;)
balletcostumemom

Post by balletcostumemom »

Mine likes 6 on the blade and then 3 on the pressure with a Roland blade in. With a cricut blade, it likes 2 on the pressure. Go figure.
Windows XP, SCAL 2.102, Inkscape 0.47
pennsylvaniakate

Post by pennsylvaniakate »

If it is cutting through the paper at 6 but not cutting through the vinyl at 5, remember that you can turn your blade a half turn to 5 1/2. Just turn the blade knob to the bump between the numbers.
dublin2

Post by dublin2 »

Hi,

I am by no means a pro at using and cutting vinyl but when I need a question answered, I usually go to YouTube. There is a video of Cricut Dan cutting out vinyl. He uses the deep cutting blade, sets it at 4 and at medium on the machine. If you watch the video, he doesn't seem to have any problem cutting the vinyl and it seems to cut cleanly. I haven't tried it yet with my deep cutting blade, but I thought this might help.

Jeanne/Dublin2
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

Make sure that you stick the vinyl to the mat really well. I use a roller to make sure it is secure and tape the edges if the mat it not real sticky. If you do that you should be able to find settings that work.
And before anyone goes nuts looking for half settings, that only applies to the deep cut housing, not the standard one.
creative designs

Post by creative designs »

Thank you for everyones response. I was playing around last night and found that Blade 3 Pressure and speed on Med. Worked very well for me. However I have noticed using SCAL that it seems to not be as clean of a cut compared to the cartridges for the circut. Has anyone else noticed this??
balletcostumemom

Post by balletcostumemom »

That is because of the number of nodes. You can simplify them in Inkscape, but sometimes that makes the design too simplified in my humble opinion.
Windows XP, SCAL 2.102, Inkscape 0.47