A good embossing machine?

For your help and questions
TheLadyWolf
Location: Washington, SAHM, Cricut Expression, SCAL 2.0, Savvy with Inkscape and creating new SVGs

A good embossing machine?

Post by TheLadyWolf »

I'm now in the market for a good embossing machine but I don't know which one! I'd like your opinions please so I can make a good buy. Thanks.
Deloris

Re: A good embossing machine?

Post by Deloris »

Both the Cuttlebug and Sizzix Big Kick are good embossing machines.

I bought the Sizzix machine because Joann's let me use a 40% off coupon on it so it was less expensive than the Cuttlebug. I also liked the multi purpose platform that came with my Big Kick. It helps to get the right thickness without having to use a shim.

Here's a video on the Big Kick:

http://www.sizzix.com/category/BIGkick+Machine
pennsylvaniakate

Post by pennsylvaniakate »

I have the Cuttlebug. Love that thing!

Pros:
Will take any kind of die or folder out there, including Nestabilities and Sizzix.
Folds up to take up less space.
Handle for portability.
You can get good deals on Ebay, too.

Cons:
(Only one that I can think of), limited size. If you make standard A2 cards or want it for photo mats, it will work just fine. I tend to make A7 cards and sometimes wish the Cuttlebug was just a bit bigger.
judyjo
Location: Indiana, Mac v.10.5.8, Inkscapes, Scal v. 2.013, Cricut Expression, Design Studio, eclips, eCAL

Post by judyjo »

I also have the Sizzix Big Kick and have been very happy with it. Mine is manual, but they have now come out with an electric one. Good luck.
missiethegal
Location: Iowa...XP, SCAL 1 & 2, Inkscape, bit of Illustrator

Post by missiethegal »

I actually just won a Cuttlebug, so that made it much easier to decide on a machine! (phew)
I had a hard time finding any good reasons why one machine was better than another-- it seems like the main ones all can do the same stuff at the same sizes with the same dies and folders. Well at least that's about all I figured out.
I haven't done much with my Cuttlebug yet, since our dinky town doesn't sell the folders. But I was surprised at how easily the little dies and folders that come with it go through the machine. I guess I was expecting to have to use a little elbow grease but didn't need to.
I am not that impressed with the sturdiness of the folders though-- it doesn't seem like they are really built to last-- so it definitely makes me want to go and try to come up with some of my own somehow-- maybe with polymer clay or something? Or just some plastic and cardstock, if it doesn't turn into something too complicated (heh, ya right).

I think JoAnn's has had most of them for 40% off this week, and Michaels has a 20% off entire purchase printable coupon if your JoAnn's takes competitor coupons-- definitely make a great deal (of course this would only be good for today though).
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Post by Sweetness4713 »

I definitely love my cuttlebug.. My daughter an son in law (bless them) bought me one for Christmas...this past year.... IF you do a youtube search they show you how to make your own embossing folders from heavy cardstock...
raederle

Post by raederle »

missiethegal wrote: I am not that impressed with the sturdiness of the folders though-- it doesn't seem like they are really built to last-- so it definitely makes me want to go and try to come up with some of my own somehow-- maybe with polymer clay or something? Or just some plastic and cardstock, if it doesn't turn into something too complicated (heh, ya right).
Provo Craft sells the stuff to make your own embossing folders with the Cricut, but I seem to also remember reading somewhere that you can do the same thing with chipboard. Make your cut but keep both parts, the positive and negative. They become the top and bottom of the folder. I don't remember how they were held together, but I'll go hunting for the info.

Here is a thread on PC MB about it. A quick search on YouTube will give lots of results as well.
lindamac
Location: Arizona-SCAL1, SCAL2,SCAL3 Inkscape,Silhouette Cameo

Post by lindamac »

I have the Cuttlebug and just love it! It is one of my favorite crafting items next to my Cricut and SCAL. You can use your half off coupon and get it at Michaels.
sandyj

Post by sandyj »

I have a big kick and love the multi platform.

If I were buying an embossing machine today, I would just go for the biggest one they had. I am more frustrated by the size of what I am trying to emboss than how well it works.
chubbygal60

Post by chubbygal60 »

I have a cuttlebug and love it. I too used a Micheal's coupon on it. Even though the bug is made by Provo Crafts it is not a Cricut item and so you should be able to use a coupon on it. If they scan the coupon with your purchase, it will work unless the bug happens to be on sale already that week. But to avoid the hassle of them trying to tell you, you can't use it on the bug, I recommend buying something else in the same transaction. Even if it's just a two dollar item. When they scan the coupon, it will reduce the price of the higher priced item. My guess is they have it set up this way so folks won't ask that their highest priced item be rung up separately.

Like previous posters have stated already, the only real draw back of the cuttlebug is that it can't emboss full size cards. I have used other brand dies and embossing folders with the bug with good results. I too have read where folks have used chipboard to create their own embossing folders, but haven't tried it yet. Nor I have tried making my own folders with the kit Provo Craft sells for making your own folders with the cricut.

Sense I haven't personally tried other brand machines, I won't claim the cuttlebug is better than all those other machines. All I will say with certainly, is that I love my Cuttlebug!

Syl