Scal2 & PC

For your help and questions
marie101

Scal2 & PC

Post by marie101 »

Hi, hope this is an ok place to post this because I really need help. I bought a new computer in Sept of last year, updated it to Windows7 home premium, the computer is a 64 bit. The problem is that this pc has no unzip software on it. I've downloaded the trial version of scal2 just to get a feel for it before I buy it, but how on earth do I unzip the files? I've tried the trial version of winzip & have decided I don't like that new version at all. My questions are, what unzip program do all of you use, how easy is it & is it compatible with a 64 bit pc? If all else fails is there a way to make this pc into a 32 bit?
Thanks so much & have a great evening.
Marie who is so lost & confused.
Judy*

Re: Scal2 & PC

Post by Judy* »

I have Windows 7 and I just right click on the zip file and extract. You don't have that option?
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

The windows version isn't zipped, it's just an exe. Save the download, the run it to install SCAL. You will also want to set it to run in XP service pack2 compatibility before you activate it. Directions on CE website with more detail here http://www.craftedge.com/products/xpmode.html
Deloris

Post by Deloris »

[quote="marie101"]Hi, hope this is an ok place to post this because I really need help. I bought a new computer in Sept of last year, updated it to Windows7 home premium, the computer is a 64 bit. The problem is that this pc has no unzip software on it. I've downloaded the trial version of scal2 just to get a feel for it before I buy it, but how on earth do I unzip the files? I've tried the trial version of winzip & have decided I don't like that new version at all. My questions are, what unzip program do all of you use, how easy is it & is it compatible with a 64 bit pc? quote]

Hi,

Feel free to ask for help. After all we were all news users at one time and we had to ask a lot of questions to get up and going with SCAL.

To answer your question, Windows 7 has a unzipping program built in.
Here's a link to a video on how to unzip files in Windows 7:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... -zip-files

If you decide to buy SCAL2, you won't need to unzip the program to install it, but you will need to download and unzip the USB drivers from the Craftedge website in order to get SCAL to communicate with your Cricut. Those USB drivers are a zip file and you can use the method shown in the last part of the video to unzip or extract the driver files.
Here's the link to the page where you download the drivers.
http://www.craftedge.com/download/download.html
See attached picture. It's the part that shows in blue ink at the bottom.

I posted step by step instructions for how I installed SCAL on my Windows 7 computer in this thread:
http://forums.surecutsalot.com/viewtopi ... =6&t=12024

Hope that helps
Attachments
Drivers.JPG
Drivers.JPG (35.56 KiB) Viewed 3575 times
lindamac
Location: Arizona-SCAL1, SCAL2,SCAL3 Inkscape,Silhouette Cameo

Post by lindamac »

There are all sorts of free unzip programs out there. I use PeaZip which works fine for me but some prefer other programs
marie101

Post by marie101 »

Thanks everyone for jumping in to help me try and figure this out. No, I don't have the option to extract, all I get is "windows can't open this file". I'm thinking it must be because the computer is a 64 bit and not compatible with the extraction software. So, unless I can figure this thing out it looks like I won't be buying the Scal2 software :( . If I can't get the files unzipped to use well there's no point in having the software. Now off to see if I can figure out how to make this into a 32 bit computer and see if that helps anything.
Again, many thanks all the answers were much appreciated. Have a great evening. Marie
Deloris

Post by Deloris »

marie101 wrote:Thanks everyone for jumping in to help me try and figure this out. No, I don't have the option to extract, all I get is "windows can't open this file". I'm thinking it must be because the computer is a 64 bit and not compatible with the extraction software. So, unless I can figure this thing out it looks like I won't be buying the Scal2 software :( . If I can't get the files unzipped to use well there's no point in having the software. Now off to see if I can figure out how to make this into a 32 bit computer and see if that helps anything.
Again, many thanks all the answers were much appreciated. Have a great evening. Marie
What options does it show in the drop down box when you right click your mouse on the zipped file?
marie101

Post by marie101 »

Good morning,
The only thing I get is "windows can't open this file". No option to extract files at all. This is so frustrating I'm about ready to throw the pc out the window.
Deloris

Post by Deloris »

I'm guessing the problem is with Win Zip. When you installed the trial version it replaced the unzipping feature on Windows 7.

Do you remember the date you installed Win Zip?

If so, click your start button and type in system restore and select a date that is before the day you installed Win Zip and have your computer reset itself to that time.

That will take about 10 or 15 minutes as your virus software will turn off until it updates itself. It's an automatic process so just let it run.

Once that finishes and your system restarts, right click and see if the extract all option appears in the drop down box.
Deloris

Post by Deloris »

Here's another solution. Leo at svgcuts.com has opened a new on line store. He is a Microsoft Certified Tech and has phone support to get you up and running if you buy the SCAL2 program from him.

Here's the link to the store:
http://www.pumpkincartcrafts.com/

There's an advertisement on the upper left hand side of the screen with details of phone support.

Hope that helps....
Last edited by Deloris on Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.