Print and then Cut

Tips, Tricks and Tutorials for using Sure Cuts A Lot
Barbara-UK

Re: Print and then Cut

Post by Barbara-UK »

Just wanted to say thank you ohjenny for providing the inspiration for whiling away a rainy Sunday afternoon. :) I came across this thread and decided to give this method a try as I hadn't attempted it before......and got excellent results on all types of card and paper, including HP brochure paper, and with all types of Christmas images. I've now got loads of things to start my Christmas card making! :)

The only hiccup I encountered was a self made one - I forgot that my Create won't cut A4 size paper until I came to cut and happily designed in Inkscape to fill that size :oops: - so I had to go back and format it to cut on the Create mat. LOL

Barbara
Vista, SCAL2
Jayne

Post by Jayne »

Ive tried it but i cant figure it out...
ohjenny

Post by ohjenny »

Barbara, so glad this is working well for you! I've always had excellent results with this method!

Jayne, I'm sorry this isn't working out for you - I'm actually looking to purchase a video camera within the next couple of weeks and when I do I'll try posting a video - that might make things a bit easier to follow :D
Rachell

Post by Rachell »

I know this site and that she used MTC to do the cutting but you should be able to replicate closely enough with Scal to get it to work for you.

http://papercraftingwithnelda.blogspot.com/
Jin

Post by Jin »

I have several tutorials on my blog on "Cut-and-Print". I used a different cutting program but it should be easy to use the techniques for SCAL. Also, I am using Adobe Photoshop but you do not need to have that for the methods to work. Any graphics editor with the same tools would do.

How to "CUT-and-PRINT" with the Cricut

This is my latest tutorial on cutting and printing cupcake wrappers.

Cupcake Wrappers Video Tutorial 3: Cut-and-Print with Circular Text

Hopefully these will help.

Jin
http://underacherrytree.com/
Rachell

Post by Rachell »

yes jin site is great I couldn't find the link to her site to post along with Neldas site I was not leaving you out jin I was trying to find the link to your site for some reasonI was not typing it in right .
Jin

Post by Jin »

LOL, Rachelle. :D Don't worry about it. The blog name is long and not the easiest to remember. I'll see you on the other side (site? lol). ;)
ohjenny

Post by ohjenny »

OK I did this vid which I apologize in advance for - it's pretty dry ;) And I don't have a regular video camera yet so it's iphone craptastic... but I think it gets the point across better than my earlier explanation!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioKxJhMW1U0
Barbara-UK

Post by Barbara-UK »

I have done print and cut before having come across firstcut's 'hinge' method on the 'cleversomeday' blog when I first got my Cricut and SCAL and got excellent results. :) I did not try other ways of doing this because most seemed to produce more or less the same results as the 'hinge' method and I was happy with that - until I came across the post by ohjenny and decided to give that a try.

I was really delighted with the results from this because it does not leave a sticker type white border round the image - just today I was asked where I had got some diecuts from.....but they were actually images produced by the method described by ohjenny!! It's a quick and easy method when you get into the routine and I've now got a good collection of images and a really good start on making my Christmas cards. :)

So thanks again ohjenny....and I'm now off to view the vid you made even though at the time it is here now I should be already tucked up in bed and sound asleep!! LOL

Barbara
Vista, SCAL2
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

OhJenny. Thanks for doing that video. I have included it on my print and cut page. http://cleversomeday.wordpress.com/print-and-cut

The carrier method has been used for many years (there's an excerpt from my 1998 book linked on the print and cut page) and only use the hinge method when the cut is too complicated or I want to use a printer that is not carrier friendly. I have been taking for granted that everyone already knew this method so I apologize for any confusion over when to use the hinge method.

Nelda's method using MTC only with solid colors is a great shortcut to what some of us have been doing with photoshop or scrapcoloring.com and will work in SCAL, except that SCAL only uses hex colors and not rgb colors (they are all the rage with the Imagine using them). Of course with a photo editing program or scrapcoloring you can use patterns as well as solids. Andy is hinting that he will be adding pattern fills in MTC so Todd, of you are listening, we'd love to have that, too, and the true import size for jpgs that makes MTC so easy to use for print and cut.

Again, you can find a bunch of methods on my print and cut page (many with new videos) and decide what works best for the project you are working on.