Tracing image: 1 line instead of two

General discussion about Inkscape
fregley

Tracing image: 1 line instead of two

Post by fregley »

I'm new to SCAL and Inkscape, so this might be a stupid question. Anyway, when I use a jpg and trace it (whether I'm using SCAL, Inkscape, or Vector Magic), paths are placed along each side of a line. I would like to just cut along each line once. For example, if I wanted to cut out this cow (which I don't)
cow.jpg
cow.jpg (24.12 KiB) Viewed 2050 times
When I trace it, it becomes this:
cow 2.png
cow 2.png (73.49 KiB) Viewed 2050 times

Is there a way to make the cricut just cut along the original lines rather than on both sides?

Thanks!
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Re: Tracing image: 1 line instead of two

Post by Sweetness4713 »

Yep.. either in scal or inkscape use the breakapart and then move the base layer from the behind.. the base layer is your solid or blackout piece... You can also just use the paint bucket to fill in the inner parts and move the whole image away..
fregley

Post by fregley »

Sorry, but I don't seem to understand what you said. If I open an svg file and use breakapart, I get the message "no paths to break apart". If I create a new document, import a jpg, and trace bitmap, I can use breakapart, but it doesn't seem to work like you say. If I move away the black base layer like so:
2.JPG
2.JPG (62.55 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
delete it, and save, scal says it can't load the file. Alternatively, if I move various parts around like so:
3.JPG
3.JPG (54.9 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
the result seems to be the same as if I didn't do anything. I discovered that if I view the file as outline only in inkscape, I can see what the svg will look like in scal, but I can't seem to edit it.
5.JPG
5.JPG (43.41 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
Thanks for the advice, but sorry for misunderstanding you.
(jecheck)

Post by (jecheck) »

I don't know that there is a way to do this in inkscape, and I am pretty sure that it will NOT cut well with SCAL (it may draw well with the pens, though!). CorelDraw X4 has a powertrace feature that traces the midline of graphics, which is how I got the below...
cow.JPG
cow.JPG (30.94 KiB) Viewed 2020 times
Attachments
cow[1].svg
(9.36 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
http://www.cougarrx.com

All my files are for non-profit use only... use them, share them, give them as gifts, but don't sell them
lkc

Post by lkc »

You may be able to accomplish what you want using the union and difference functions in Inkscape...that is what I used to get this image
cowtestfile.png
cowtestfile.png (13.96 KiB) Viewed 2019 times
This is how the image would cut in scal
cowtestfilescal.png
cowtestfilescal.png (22.09 KiB) Viewed 2019 times
Laura
fregley

Post by fregley »

Sorry I took so long to reply, I've been out of town. Anyway, I can't figure out how to use union/difference, and I can't find any tutorials either. I did find, however, that if I shrink the original bitmap down so the lines are thinner, and then convert it, that it works better.