original cameo

Discuss various cutting machines for SCAL
LaurieB

original cameo

Post by LaurieB »

Is anyone else out there still cutting with an original Cameo? I am working with SCAL 5. When I send a cut to the Cameo, it takes many tries to get SCAL to connect. I have to turn the Cameo on and off, and plug/unplug it from the computer 5-10 times before SCAL recognizes the Cameo.

I am just getting back to crafting after a few years. I never had this problem using Make The Cut (same computer, same Cameo). Getting frustrated with the program not working for me, am I missing something? Do I need to update?
SandyMcC

Re: original cameo

Post by SandyMcC »

If you still have MTC installed, I would love to know if it now does the same thing. The reason I ask is that I was contracted to write a Cameo 4 user manual back in 2020 and I had issues with USB connectivity to the Cameo 4 from Silh Studio. But then I also had and still have connectivity issues with other direct USB connections to other cutters from other software programs. In other words, if it fails from SCAL, it ALSO fails from SignMaster (another software program I support). I have to go Windows Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers and typically uninstall anything that says "No Printer Attached" AND "USB Printing Support". Then, after I reboot Windows, they will both be back but the cutter will now be recognized.

Note that I learned this trick from a past web page on Silhouette's web site. I bookmarked that page and used it from time to time, but then they redid their support site and those pages are now gone. :( Fortunately, I took enough notes to still remember this trick that has worked for me.
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/
LaurieB

Post by LaurieB »

Sandy, thanks for the suggestions. I no longer have MTC installed so I can't check that, but I never had this issue when I was using MTC. I don't see "no printer attached" on anything in Device Manager (Windows 10). While I was in settings I checked for windows updates, and the computer is up to date.

I didn't think to look into the Silhouette support web site for ideas, just assuming the problem was originating from SCAL because nothing else had changed. I did try replacing the USB cord, but the issue remains.

I remember how much help you provided in the forum for MTC, it was very much appreciated. I used MTC from it's beginning and knew it so well, was really sorry to see that program disappear. I didn't even bother to learn the Silhouette software when I updated my cutter from the brand that shall not be named. I look forward to the day when I am as confident with SCAL, it seems like a great tool.
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

I would suggest downloading Silhouette Studio from Silhouette's web site... the basic free one. Then you can see if your cutter will communicate with it. If it fails, then you know, for sure, it's something in Windows that is preventing it and you can see if Silhouette support can help. I've heard it can take time to hear back from them but maybe you'll receive an email with that same checklist that I originally found.

Good luck! And if you happen to find yourself shopping for a new cutter, PLEASE check out the Skycuts, StarCraft SOLO, and the Siser Romeo and Juliet models. They are the ones I now support and they all work great with SCAL.
Sandy McCauley
LaurieB

Post by LaurieB »

I contacted Silhouette and received a reply within two days with the solution, even though official support for Cameo 1 has been discontinued. A Windows 10 update is the likely cause. The issue appears to be resolved with the firmware update from Silhouette found here: https://silhouetteamerica.freshdesk.com ... 5000209369. (posting this in case anyone else needs the info)

Sandy, thanks for the recommendations for alternative cutters. I will keep those in mind; however, they are somewhat expensive for occasional hobby use.
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

Thanks for the input! Really appreciate it and I will get this copy/pasted into my tech supports notes.

Regarding the new cutters, they're actually almost exclusively purchased by crafters and some even go for the $1200 Skycut D model! Even back in 2007 - 2014 when I was selling cutters myself, lots of crafters were buying the $960 KNK Maxx and Maxx Air models. It really comes down to the functionality people want and the accuracy of print+cut projects.
Sandy McCauley