Glass etching

Jax

Re: Glass etching

Post by Jax »

The glasses look very nice and yes once you take the vinyl off it is a pain to put it back on. If you haven't tried the sand blasting method it is actually easier and the etching is cleaner looking. I switched to it and never went back to acid. The only problem with it is you need some equipment to do it (air compressor, spray gun, media, etc). It's around a $200 investment that you can make back quickly if you decide to sell them.
If you aren't learning something new everyday you might as well just lie in a grave and wait for death.
mommyshome

Post by mommyshome »

Your glasses turned out beautifully louietw.

One thing I noticed was that while the glass is wet it's harder to see the etching, so make sure it's dry before you decide if you are ready to pull off the vinyl. You can reapply the etching cream as long as the vinyl is still there, I leave mine on for 30 minutes. I don't see how anything on the surface of the glass would affect the etching cream because it's so strong, but I can see how it could affect how the vinyl adheres and getting a crisp edge. I've only etched on washed items but I never used alcohol. Also, I think the etching cream works better when it's wet and it dries out as it sits on there so covering it with a little plastic wrap may prevent it drying out.

Does anyone know if crystal will etch?
My files are for personal use only. Please do not sell my files or items made from my files. Thanks.
Soulsisterd

Post by Soulsisterd »

Great Job! I have a question regarding etching. Is it possible to etch in color?
Thanks a bunch
Blessings SoulSisterD
mommyshome

Post by mommyshome »

I don't think it's possible to etch in color, that would be so cool though. Etching actually removes a small layer of the glass, it sort of eats it away. I did see online that there is vinyl that looks like glass etching that is colored, that is really pretty. I haven't tried it.

I found it here...

http://craftvinyl.com/page30

I haven't ever purchased from this site, but it looks like it would be a fun product to try.
My files are for personal use only. Please do not sell my files or items made from my files. Thanks.
Soulsisterd

Post by Soulsisterd »

Thanks mommyshome, I think i'm going to try a few different vinly from this site. I had no idea there were so many varity to choose from.
Thanks a bunch
Blessings SoulSisterD
apday

Post by apday »

You can color the area of glass that you just etched with Rub and Buff. If you do a Google image search, you will see some examples.
cpking

Post by cpking »

its look so beautiful and professional.