Open MTC files in Scal3

For your help and questions
dragonlord666

Open MTC files in Scal3

Post by dragonlord666 »

OK I know this has been mentioned before but you can't search for "make the cut" as they are all common words :)

so I have a shed load of .mtc files.

I have the mac version & windows version of MTC but I'm not paying for it when I don't use it, and you can't export in the trial versions
some people have said they open them in Scal3 but I can't find out how! a few say they use the svg import but that does not allow mtc format.

tried both mac & windows version of Scal.

if someone knows how can they share, please?

Thanks

Gaz
Cutters: Phoenix Silver Bullet 18", Black Cat Cougar 18", Silhouette Cameo & Cameo 4
Software: SCAL 5 Pro, Inkscape, Gimp
Computer:IMac running Mojave
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Re: Open MTC files in Scal3

Post by sstehman »

I don't use MTC, but can you save as an svg or bring into Inkscape and then open in SCAL?
Sandy in PA
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

On the demo version that I have it says that you can export one svg per session. It is watermarked, but the watermark is easy to remove. The version that I tried is pretty old, so maybe that has changed since then.
dragonlord666

Post by dragonlord666 »

Sandy, no, if I can save it as SVG that would be fine but you can only do that if you BUY MTC - I won't as I have Scal, Scal pro, inkscape & silhouette designer so apart from the odd conversion I won't need it.

Heather, I thought it said that too but it seems it won't do it.

thanks for the ideas

only other way is to screen grab and trace. not my fav. way but.......

Gaz
Cutters: Phoenix Silver Bullet 18", Black Cat Cougar 18", Silhouette Cameo & Cameo 4
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

I just downloaded and installed the most recent version of MTC and you are right, it no longer lets you export svg files in demo mode. Older versions of MTC do allow svg export in Demo mode though.
dragonlord666

Post by dragonlord666 »

hummm.... so I need to find an old version of MTC..........

(might do a system search and see how many .mtc files I have and how many I want, as it may just be easier to screen grab & trace LOL)

Thanks

Gaz
Rorysnonna

Post by Rorysnonna »

Hi Everyone,
I know so many of us use different file formats now. When I share my files on my blog I also include a .pdf so that most people can now import them to SCAL. A lot of MTC users will convert them for you if you ask. I share all my files and if you leave me a message on my blog I would be glad to convert any of my MTC or pdf files to SCAL if you don't want to use the pdf.
Have a great night,
Lysa
P.S. I just posted a cute St. Patrick's Day treat holder file that is available on my blog it is available as a pdf if you want to check it out.
www.lysaandhueyink.blogspot.com
ScrappyKat

Post by ScrappyKat »

I purchased MTC first and learned it fairly well, then replaced my eCraft with an Eclips which does not cut from MTC. SO I bought ECAL which I'm not very good with yet. I design with MTC, export to SVG, then cut with ECAL. I do some designing in SCAL. Both programs have their advantages, both are frequently updated. MTC can cut with BK Cougars, I assume SB would use same plug in.
dragonlord666

Post by dragonlord666 »

thanks, I'm just not sure I want to BUY MTC when I really won't use it except to convert the odd MTC file I have.
I have Scal3, Scal 3 Pro, iInkscape, Silhouette Studio Designer Version so I was looking for a way to convert without too much hassle.

guess I'll just have to screen grab and trace. I guess it's a good way to decide if I really, really want that file or not :)

Thanks

Gaz