How to uninstall and *keep* fonts!

aunt2two

How to uninstall and *keep* fonts!

Post by aunt2two »

Immediately, I started having trouble with SCAL because I have a ton of fonts installed. How do I uninstall the fonts? Everywhere just tells me to delete the fonts. But I don't want to delete them, I want to uninstall them and keep them for later! Help!
pastda3

Re: How to uninstall and *keep* fonts!

Post by pastda3 »

I'm sure there is a much better or easier way to do it, but when I was removing some fonts from my hard drive, all I did was create a another folder and dragged and dropped my fonts from one to the other. Then I just open whichever font file I want to use during an application, then close it when I'm done.
SCAL1, SCAL2 V2.044, SCAL3. SCAL4 XPsp3, Windows 7, Windows 10-64 bit, Ink.46, Cricut E, Silhouette Cameo
***My files are not to be sold and are for personal use only.***
gj1

Post by gj1 »

Could you go to your fonts section of your computer and 'cut' and then paste them onto a usb memory stick. That would remove them from your computer and put them where you can save them. Just an idea.
aunt2two

Post by aunt2two »

I tried doing the cut/copy and paste thing, but it doesn't allow me to perform the cut/copy function within the fonts folder.

Does anyone else have trouble having lots of fonts installed? I tried to do a text in SCAL, and it only scrolled down to the Cs in my font list and then it crapped out - wouldn't go any further down...
gj1

Post by gj1 »

What kind of operating system is your computer? I had trouble on my Vista with fonts...should never have downloaded them to my computer. That computer died. I don't do that now...I save them to a stick and load with SCAL temporary feature for fonts. They only get loaded while using and then they are not there in the computer when Scal is closed. Fonts can mess up a computer I think. To uninstall them you have to go to the font folder and delete I believe or uninstall if available and redownload to a stick is what I would do. Write the names down so you know what to redownload to a stick. You have to be careful not to delete fonts that came with you puter though as you may delete common files and then nothing will work right!
aunt2two

Post by aunt2two »

I'm not able to copy the fonts, and the only other option is to delete, but I don't want to lose them altogether!

I'm on Windows 7
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

A font manager will help you uninstall and still keep your fonts. I use NexusFont with Win7, but there are others available (including The Font Thing). http://xiles.net/downloads/#NexusFont

What you will do is

Install and open the NexusFont.
Select all of the fonts that you want to move.
Uninstall (Font/Uninstall) and select "move to the Backup location".
Open the backup location (Tools/Open backup folder).
Now you can move the font files to where you want them.

I like to keep mine in a folder in My Documents. That way they are easy to find and get backed up when everything else backed up.

ETA: If you uninstall the fonts and leave them where they are, they will be hidden from you. If this happens to anyone, let me know and I will try to explain what to do (been there, done that, thought I lost ALL of my good fonts).
aunt2two

Post by aunt2two »

OK, I did that - thanks for the program information. The only thing is, I can't figure out how to re-install the fonts. They are in my backup folder, but I don't know how to get the "Install" to become active (instead of greyed out)
Stevie

Post by Stevie »

I am using "Typograph" for font management. There are some suggestions I have to make: 1.) Keep your fonts within the fonts-folder BUT do not install more. 2.) Create a separate folder for TTF and for PS fonts 3.) Use a Font Management Tool to load (!) fonts into the memory and NOT (!) install them 4.) e.g. "Typograph" (the Font Management Tool I am using) and very sophisticated Font Managers are even able to load PS (Adobe PostScript Fonts) into Microsoft Programs (e.g. Word), so you can use PS fonts in any program you like on your PC. I hope this was useful for you.