getting unwanted double cuts from illustrator svg files

Cut it up

getting unwanted double cuts from illustrator svg files

Post by Cut it up »

I have a daunting problem that I'm willing to bet has a simple solution that I just haven't found yet.

I created a svg file in Illustrator CS4. I used the pen tool instead of the brush so not to get a double line. However, when I created an svg and sent it to my cutter it cut as if I had clicked the "double cut" button. I ended up going back and recreating the file from scratch thinking that perhaps because I had used the "offset path" option in the first file that that might have been the problem. This was not the case. I have created a handful of files before and have never had this problem. I am attaching a screen grab for visual aid. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I also cut a few other files to make sure I wasn't having the problem on my cutters end.
Attachments
Screen shot 2012-11-30 at 2.13.39 PM.png
Screen shot 2012-11-30 at 2.13.39 PM.png (32.92 KiB) Viewed 5950 times
gj1

Re: getting unwanted double cuts from illustrator svg files

Post by gj1 »

To test, a helper would need your actual cutting file and would also need to know what cutter you are using and what version of scal you are using. Please note these things in your signature by going to your User Control Panel and typing in the info so that it is always there for the helpers to know...also include the type of computer OS you use.

Someone will be along to assist when you can provide more info. Very very nice drawing, btw :)
My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

I remember that some of Todd's AI files had that. It was because rather than a transparent background AI saved separate white shapes over the actual design. I have CS5 so it might give different results, but if you post your file save settings I can try to figure out the fix. I'll also see if I can find the post where Todd and Amy talked about the setting for AI and bump it up.
Cut it up

Post by Cut it up »

gf1, Thank you for the advice and when I am done posting I will go in and fill in that info.
Heather M, Your post sounds very helpful but I wouldn't be confident in my knowledge to know if it's saving transparent or not. I will post my save file settings and would be very grateful to read the post you mentioned.
Thank you both for your advice.
Attachments
Screen shot 2012-12-05 at 11.12.14 PM.png
Screen shot 2012-12-05 at 11.12.14 PM.png (88.19 KiB) Viewed 5896 times
MAC OSX 10.6.8, CS4, Silhouette SD
gj1

Post by gj1 »

Once this has occurred and you open the file with the double line...could you just Select all and Break Apart and then delete the outer line and resave the file or export for a new .svg? I don't know anything about AI, and I hope Heather sees your message above.
My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.
Cut it up

Post by Cut it up »

I'll try that as well.
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

If I remember correctly, it isn't necessary to use Path/Break apart. You should be able to just use Object/Ungroup and then delete the extra pieces. It might not even be necessary to use Break apart, check in the Layers window in SCAL to see what you have. I'm sorry that I can't remember what Todd was working on or what the fix was. I don't use AI enough to know the ins and outs and I always take the svg to Inkscape for the finishing touches. :oops:
Cut it up

Post by Cut it up »

Well thanks so much for the tips. I'm happy to have a few things to try at least. I'll post when I end up figuring it out.