Inkscape Plugin with SCAL4

General discussion about Inkscape
AngelaL

Inkscape Plugin with SCAL4

Post by AngelaL »

Hello

I have been using SCAL4 for many years (might get around to updating to 5 some time!). I also use Inkscape to design files and the SCAL plug-in to export the SVG for cutting with my Silver Bullet.

I recently had cause to re-install Windows on my laptop, which, of course, meant I had to reinstall all of my programs. At that time, I took the opportunity to install the latest version of Inkscape. However, when trying to install the SCAL extension for Inkscape, I get the message "Cannot install the extension. Unable to locate extensions folder for Inkscape" - this is despite me checking in Inkscape via Edit>Preferences and clicking to open the extensions folder to check the path, and selecting this folder when installing the plugin. It may be something to do with the fact that the Extensions folder is now located within roaming profile for Inkscape (C:\Users\*name*\AppData\Roaming\inkscape\extensions), whereas, from memory, it used to be within the Shared Folder of Inkscape in Program Files, but this is just a guess. Does anyone have any idea how to fix / get around this?

I did find a thread on the forum where someone was having the same issue with installation of the Inkscape Extension SCAL 5, but when they were asked quesions, they never replied, so there wasn't a resolution.

For further info, I'm using:-
Window 10 64bit laptop
SCAL4
Inkscape 1.1

If you need any further information, please let me know. Thanks!
AngelaL

Re: Inkscape Plugin with SCAL4

Post by AngelaL »

Hello again.

Well, as 226 people have viewed this thread at the time of writing this post. and thre hasn't been a single reply, I'm guessing no-one has clue what's going on! :D

A few days after I posted this and hadn't had a response, I also filled out the form on the Sure Cuts a Lot Support page on their website, but I haven't had a response. Has anybody got any bright ideas as to how I can contact them ? :-(
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

I just tested the Inkscape plugin installation on my Windows 10 computer and didn't get any error messages at all. So, a few questions:

When you installed Inkscape, did you accept the default folder that it wanted to use? Perhaps that's why it couldn't locate the location, as indicated by the error message.

Also, is this the plugin on Craft Edge's website that you're attempting to install? I noticed there are a lot of options in that menu.
2021-08-07_092220.png
2021-08-07_092220.png (8.15 KiB) Viewed 5408 times
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/
AngelaL

Post by AngelaL »

Hello. Thanks for trying to help. Interesing that you're not getting an error message.

To answer your questions: yes, I used defaults for inkscape, but, as I mentioned in my initial post, the default locaion for extensions appears to have changed from previous versions of Inkscape, and, yes, it's the 64 bit version of the Inkscape plugin for SCAL 4.
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

I checked again and even though I didn't get an error message, it also doesn't show up in the Extensions>Export list. One of my colleagues in Australia (who is MUCH smarter at these kinds of things) is looking into it on your behalf since SCAL appears to be too overloaded currently to check it out and make a new plugin for Inkscape 1.1.
Sandy McCauley
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

Okay... we have a workable solution. Paul came up with this and he tested in SCAL4 regular and I tested in SCAL4 Pro. Here are the instructions:

(1) Go to this link and download the relevant file:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

(2) Extract the two files and place into this folder:

C:\Users\"yourusername"\AppData\Roaming\inkscape\extensions

(3) Open Inkscape 1.1 and give it a try. Two things we noticed:

1. There will be an error message that pops up in Inkscape after you send it but our testing indicated the shapes were still sent.

2. The sizing is off unless you set Stroke to 0 in Inkscape (and then switch to Outline mode under View>Display Mode, as needed).

Hope this helps and if you have any questions, post back.
Sandy McCauley
AngelaL

Post by AngelaL »

Sorry for the delay in coming back to you - I was away for a few days.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! It works!!!! :D :D :D
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

That's great news!!! And you're welcome!
Sandy McCauley
johnson111

Post by johnson111 »

Thankyou for sharing.