Help Installing Zing on M1 Mac Mini

For your help and questions
browpr

Help Installing Zing on M1 Mac Mini

Post by browpr »

I am using Scal 5 pro ver 5.050 ona M1 version Mac Mini. I can not get the machine to recognize my Zing (not a bluetooth version). Can some one help me. I downloaded and followed the video on the D2xx drivers and helper app. restarted and still can not cut. Thanks in advance for your help.
SandyMcC

Re: Help Installing Zing on M1 Mac Mini

Post by SandyMcC »

First of all, in SCAL, go to Cutter>Cutter Settings and make sure the Baud Rate is set to 57600. By default, it should be, but just in case.

If that doesn't solve the issue, then it's most likely the driver is not being accepted by your Mac. Several cutters brands using FTDI drivers are having issues on Macs running the latest operating systems. Are you on Mojave or Catalina or Big Sur? If so, I recommend uninstalling the D2XX Helper so that you can then install the VCP driver instead. Also, watch for ANY messages that pop up on your Mac. I recall one KNK Maxx owner needing to approve the driver when she installed it on her hubby's Mac. She saw a message came up. But she never got it to work on her own Mac, yet both Macs were the exact same model purchased on the exact same day. She ended up having to install an emulator and running the Windows version on her own Mac.

Anyhow, here's the link:

https://ftdichip.com/drivers/vcp-drivers/

Plus, here are the instructions for first removing the D2XX Helper:

(1) Unplug the cutter.

(2) Open Finder and go to Go > Utilities > Terminal. A window will open and you’ll see your mac user name and a $. You will be pasting in lines to the right of that where you see a little gray box. Follow these steps as indicated.

(3) Copy & paste this line: cd /Library/Extensions

(4) Press return.

(5) Copy & paste this line: ls

(6) Press return.

(7) You should see a list of “stuff” and D2XX Helper will appear in that list. For me, it was at the bottom.

(8) Copy and Paste this line: sudo rm -r /Library/Extensions/D2xxHelper.kext

(9) Press return.

(10) You will be asked for your Mac password... type it in BUT you won’t see it as you’re typing. That’s okay. Just type it and press Return.

(11) Copy & paste this line: ls

(12) Press return.

(13) D2XX Helper should now be gone. You can now close this window.

Good luck! Fingers crossed!
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/