ISO Stencil spray

For your help and questions
lbreyman

ISO Stencil spray

Post by lbreyman »

Someone posted they use stencil spray on their mats when they loose their stickyness. I checked JoAnn Fabrics and WalMart and they don't carry it. Does anyone know where I could buy this item? TIA!
Laura
GrammyKrausse

Re: ISO Stencil spray

Post by GrammyKrausse »

Are you talking about the iso spray for embroydry. I use it and am Not for sure if iso is safe, after a couple of weeks if not washed out of fabric it looks a little yellow, at least to me it does. but I found at walmart a photo mount spray that you can spray directly on the paper and is safe. not cheap but better then 10.00 every few uses of the mat. If you can't find it at walmart seems like I saw some at HL. :roll:
Grammy
lbreyman

Post by lbreyman »

I'm not exactly sure what kind of spray it is. I was guessing you sprayed it on the back of a plastic stencil, then it would stick to the wall while you stenciled the area. But the other sprays you listed I think would do the trick just as well. Thanks I'll try Hobby Lobby next time I get there. The only one in the area is about an hour from me.
Laura :)
Amy

Post by Amy »

I was recommended (by a Wishblade owner) to use the Krylon Paper Finishes Easy-Tack Repositionable Adhesive for my mats to regain their stickiness. The only place I have found it is at Hobby Lobby. It's a small spray can for about $4. I wash and dry my mats, spray this on them and let it air dry a little before putting paper on it (otherwise it is super sticky). I don't use it all the time, but it does keep me from buying new mats every week. I hope this helps.

Amy
Four11Lady

Post by Four11Lady »

I use Quilt Basting Spray, I think the brand is JUNE TAYLOR, and my husband picked it up for me at WALMART. It states that the quilt can be repositioned for up to 2 months, so he figured this is what I needed. Well, ladies, my DH did good because I am soooooooooooooo satisfied with it. I am not sure how much it was though because he picked it up and right now I cannot ask him ( still asleep!!--LOL) I can tell you that after masking the edges of your mat so they don't get sprayed, go easy with the spray because it sticks real well. I washed my mats before I sprayed them and they are still doing well after 3 weeks!
lbreyman

Post by lbreyman »

Great idea! Thank your DH for me! Off to WalMart to see if I can find it. Oh, and thanks for the reminder of taping off the edges, I think I would have regretted that one not doing it.

How did you wash your mat's before spraying?
Laura :)
Four11Lady

Post by Four11Lady »

I washed them with dishwashing soap and water and gently removed any STUCK ON stuff with my fingers and hands. I then rinsed them well and patted them dry. I let them sit for a bit before I taped them off and sprayed. WORKED FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!
susibi

Post by susibi »

a good scrub with baby wipes usually cleans the mat and gets some of its sticky back. I used Krylon or a French brand of stencil repos spray which works really well. I know that some of the users from US use quilters plastic to make their own carrier sheets - one lady even told us she used old Xrays to make hers from!!
Susibi :D
wreed06

Post by wreed06 »

Someone on the boards suggested using a Xyron Adhesive Runners. http://www.xyron.com/enUS/Categories/Solutions.html I tried it at a weekend crop and it worked great. Unlike sprays, there are no fumes, spray in the air, over-spray, etc. The adhesive seems to be strong enough for 2 - 4 cuts making it even more economical. I got it at Michael's.

I use Wet Ones between uses and they work great. I may get a stronger adhesive remover soon to clean the board after using it for awhile because the board seems to be getting pretty hard with build up from the adhesive.

Whatever adhesive you use, you might watch out for any buildup on your Cricut. After coming back from my weekend crop, I noticed some buildup in my machine - mostly in front before the rollers. I used some Un-Do with a Q-tip and got it off. Then I did the same thing on the roller bar and all of the gripper rings on the roller bar, as I gently rolled the roller bar to get all sides. (Never FORCE anything to move if it doesn't want to!) I didn't want to use alcohol on the gripper rings because I thought it might dry them out causing them to break later (like dry rubber bands).
hbennett

Post by hbennett »

I read this somewhere (have not tried) but you can use the blue wallpaper/painter low tack tape to hold your paper in place on a worn out mat, too.