Confused about CDS update

For your help and questions
lilgreykitty

Confused about CDS update

Post by lilgreykitty »

I'm confused. I read a lot of messages on "that other" MB that says they have updated, and are not having any trouble with SCAL working, and then I also read a lot of messages that say they can't get SCAL to work right after the update. I don't know who to believe. I'm not in any hurry to update, but I would like to know for future referance why this is.
=^..^=
sboz

Re: Confused about CDS update

Post by sboz »

Well, I have not done the DSS update - they are having a lot of problems on their own end with it. I am never one to jump in and do an update as soon as it comes out. I will wait on this DSS update until they get their own problems solved. Here's a administrative post on some of the problems they are addressing: http://www.cricut.com/messageboard/tm.aspx?m=1830555

Shari
Bug Safe: http://www.pbase.com/bugsafe/inbox
My Blog - "The Bug Stop" - where you can find my .cut files:
http://thebugstop.blogspot.com/
AnointedHands

Post by AnointedHands »

I didn't do the update either. Since I have to make a decision between DSS and SCAL, I choose SCAL. SCAL allows me to do so much more than DSS and I don't have a lot of confidence in PC anymore. I understand that updates can be posted to block SCAL, but why would you have to stoop that low. The only updates that DSS needs now is to incorporate the Windows commands it should have had in the beginning. And if they think I can be strong-armed into giving up SCAL because using it will void the warranty, they are mistaken. SCAL only controlls the output to the motor...just like DSS.

I have 30 carts but SCAL offers me the opportunity to actually "cut what I want to."
Doin the Bug...ain't nothin wrong if you wanna do da Bug all nite long...
Karen

Post by Karen »

I have done the update and never thought that I would be interested in SCAL but want to do some wall sayings and don't like the fonts that are available on the cart. I want to buy the software (SCAL) but am concerned that I will have problems. Anyone have any insight. I have purchased the new mini carts so I don't want to undo the update.

Any advise anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Karen
soonerfan2968

Post by soonerfan2968 »

I did the update, had problems with scal and reverted back to my old version of cds. I did see a post at work earlier today over at the cricut forum that told you how to update the font.zip file only, so you would have the new carts in cds without loading the whole upgrade. But the post has since disappeared...hmmm, the circut police in action, maybe? It did say something about it coming from the cricut_friend yahoo email group.
Karen

Post by Karen »

I didn't know there was a Cricut friend yahoo group. Maybe I need to go check that out. I would love to get the SCAL but since I'm buying the new cart. I suppose I could cancel my order but then I'm not sure how to revert back to the previous version.
madchew

Post by madchew »

hello all! I DID do the cricut update and have been able to cut just fine using both CDS and SCAL. Mind you, I'm running on a dual core MAC, so I never run the two systems simultaneously. Only issue I'm having with SCAL is that it cuts so SLOW when I cut fonts, it's fine with dingbats, but really slows down doing the letters. Oh well...minor complaint. HTH!

Cheers!
Kathy
CBJPL31

Post by CBJPL31 »

soonerfan2968 wrote:I did the update, had problems with scal and reverted back to my old version of cds. I did see a post at work earlier today over at the cricut forum that told you how to update the font.zip file only, so you would have the new carts in cds without loading the whole upgrade. But the post has since disappeared...hmmm, the circut police in action, maybe? It did say something about it coming from the cricut_friend yahoo email group.
Huh...I thought it was the Admin who posted those work around directions? It doesn't matter much for me. I did the upgrade and everything is working fine on both CDS and SCAL.
~Nicole~
KimberlyinMN

Post by KimberlyinMN »

I have installed the latest update and SCAL works just fine. I'm running Windows XP so I don't know if that makes a difference.

This post was made on the Cricut.com board by Admin on how to fix the preview issue with the new cartridges:
It has come to our attention that the preview on the new cartridges is not working correctly. You can follow the directions below to work around this until a solution is implemented into the DesignStudio program.

For best results when updating, follow these instructions:
In order to improve the preview image quality and categorization on the new cartridges, it is necessary to rename your current “CricutFontsMetadata.xml” file. This file can be located in your “My Documents\Cricut\User Data” folder. Giving this file a new name (“Backup.xml” for example) will allow the software to rebuild the cartridge database correctly, with the new cartridge preview images and categories. We are working on a method to import your previous favorites, my cartridges, and keywords soon, so don’t delete your renamed xml file.
cydnewright

Post by cydnewright »

From what I understand updating the software is okay, but updating the firmware is where the problems occurred.