Print & Cut- images not showing in print preview

Post by RedPunchDesign »

Running:
Mac OS 10.8.5
SCAL 3.056
Illustrator CS3
Silver Bullet 24\"

Hi all,
I've run into this problem nearly every time I print and cut, which is the only purpose that I use the Silver Bullet.
I place an SVG file with two layers, image and cut. When I go to print, the print preview shows all or a few grouped shapes as solid white outlines of the shape. The image layer usually has many sub layers. They are all turned off when I cut.
If the piece doesn't need to be an exact size I can import a png, but with things such as business cards they need to be an exact size, so the svg is ideal.
Also, sometimes the entire design is a solid white shape when an svg is imported into SCAL.
I've attached five screen caps for a visual aid. Start with "1." , it might make more sense :)
I emailed Craft Edge, three days ago, and posted on the That's Scrap Forum two days ago, haven't heard back from anyone. I will update if I do.

I would appreciate any and all advice! Thanks in advance for your time
Attachments
3.JPG
3.JPG (16.4 KiB) Viewed 8223 times
4.JPG
4.JPG (51.03 KiB) Viewed 8223 times
5.JPG
5.JPG (42.18 KiB) Viewed 8223 times
Lauren

SCAL3
Illustrator, CS3
Silver Bullet 24"
MacBook Pro OSX 10.8
RedPunchDesign

Two more images-Print & Cut- images not showing in print pre

Post by RedPunchDesign »

Here are the other two images that go with the three previously posted.
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (33.5 KiB) Viewed 8222 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (33.43 KiB) Viewed 8222 times
Lauren

SCAL3
Illustrator, CS3
Silver Bullet 24"
MacBook Pro OSX 10.8
papasue

Re: Print & Cut- images not showing in print preview

Post by papasue »

Lauren, if you could share the svg and the scal file here someone will take a look and try and help you figure it out. There are a few Silver Bullet folk on this forum.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
RedPunchDesign

Post by RedPunchDesign »

Sounds good! I will post this evening when I get home from work. Thanks!!
Lauren

SCAL3
Illustrator, CS3
Silver Bullet 24"
MacBook Pro OSX 10.8
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

Lauren, Did you know that if you embed an image file in your svg file (using Inkscape ) that it will import with the svg file into SCAL3/eCAL? I do this all of the time with my digi stamps. No alignment needed after importing into SCAL. Would save you from turning layers on and off for printing and cutting.

Also, it's probably my cold, but I'm not following what exactly the problem is. Maybe if you post a screenshot of what is supposed to print?
RedPunchDesign

Post by RedPunchDesign »

Hi Heather,
I'm not using Inkscape. I actually downloaded it, then it made me get some type of "UX" operation system, still wouldn't open. I do believe that when I save as an SVG it gives me the option to embed or link. I choose embed. Is that similar to Inkscape options?
What you're saying about avoiding more complicated layers sounds awesome! I'm thinking if I can figure this out the file size will be smaller too, always a good thing!
For what is supposed to print, here is an attachment (previously posted). It is the closest thing I have access too (I'm at work) to what is suppose to print.
I did use the gradient mesh tool, which may have something to do with it.
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (33.5 KiB) Viewed 8202 times
Lauren

SCAL3
Illustrator, CS3
Silver Bullet 24"
MacBook Pro OSX 10.8
HeatherM

Post by HeatherM »

Oops, I see now that you use Illustrator. I'm sure that you should have a similar option there. I've never used AI with my digis, so not sure of the steps.

One thing when using AI for SCAL files is don't use both a fill and a stroke since that tends to result in double cuts. Looking at your images again, I'm wondering if you have a white stroke on some of the shapes.
RedPunchDesign

Post by RedPunchDesign »

Hi Heather,
I checked and I don't have any white strokes. And good call on the double cuts, I think you're seeing the type that had a 3D appearance on it. In this case the type isn't being cut, but that makes sense now as to why it double cuts type sometimes!

Also I've attached the SCAL and svg files. It wouldn't let me upload an Ai file though.

Thanks everyone!!!!
Attachments
RPD_bizcard_Sleeve.scut3
(513.99 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
RedPunch_BizCard_Sleeve.svg
(295.15 KiB) Downloaded 331 times
Lauren

SCAL3
Illustrator, CS3
Silver Bullet 24"
MacBook Pro OSX 10.8
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Post by sstehman »

Heather....here is a tutorial need. Could you explain this process further? "if you embed an image file in your svg file (using Inkscape ) that it will import with the svg file into SCAL3/eCAL? I do this all of the time with my digi stamps."
Sandy in PA
HeatherM

Post by HeatherM »

I don't have a print preview option on my programs. Is this a printer specific preview? I printed your scut file from SCAL 3.053 and it looked like it printed correctly with the image file. I would guess that it's an issue with your print driver and the missing graphics. I would do a test on copy paper, but I don't think there is a problem with the file or SCAL.

Also, I noticed on your image comments that the star doesn't show when all of the layers are visible. That's because it's behind the image so the image hides it. That's expected and not a problem since it is there in the cut preview.