to lose my mind. I have an older Mac, Powerbook G4, Mac OS 10.4 (can't
run Windows on it), and I use Font Book for my font organization. Font
Book says I have 4215 fonts. One TTF font I have "kitchen tile", it's
a cool border type font, doesn't show up!! (i have this issue with
MANY of my fonts/dingbats) It doesn't show up in Word or SCAL. I have
checked to make sure it is "installed" in FOnt book, it is. I have
made sure it is in the MAC HD Library/Font...it is. I have restarted
the program, still NOTHING works!! What do I do? Do I have too many
fonts in FOnt BOok? What is the solution??????Please advise!
Thanks,
Jeannette in GA
http://web.mac.com/jkanthos
scraperfect

Re: Font Issues--HELP?!?!

Post by scraperfect »

I'll try as I'm MAC. Do the problematic fonts show up in Appleworks? I suppose you've restarted the computer since installing them.

Did you drag them or click to install? They in your system font folder, right. Are you sure they are MAC fonts? (I'm guessing they were downloaded free from the internet).

I know I had some problems with fonts and called Apple and since they were not apple products, they couldn't help. But somehow I got it all to work fine but I'm not sure what I did... I don't think too many fonts can be an issue BUT that sure sounds like too many to be useful.

What version of font book do you have? (I have 2.1)

I went to apple support and searched and came up with this...
Mac OS X: You don't see symbols or dingbats when you type

* Last Modified on: June 21, 2004

* Article: 61307

You may need to select the Symbol or Dingbats keyboard layout to type these characters if the application you're using doesn't work with Unicode text.

If you don't see characters when you use the Symbol or Zapf Dingbats font, the application you are using may not support Unicode. In this case, you need to select the Symbol or Dingbats keyboard to type the characters.

Open International preferences and click Keyboard Menu. Select Symbol and Dingbats in the list. Choose the appropriate keyboard from the Keyboard menu (the one with the flag), then type the characters you want.

Note: The information is this document comes from Mac OS X Help, the help system included with your computer. It is based on Mac OS X 10.1.2. If a different version is installed on your computer, choose Mac Help from the Help menu. Updated and expanded information may also be available in other Knowledge Base documents.
Have a Magically Perfect Day! www.ScraPerfect.com
nlmom

Post by nlmom »

I'm 99% confidant that there is a limit to how many fonts will show / load into the scal program. I'm brand new to all this, but had the same problem. I started out with over 2000 fonts. I started deleting some bit by bit... and noticed the "missing fonts" would appear as others were deleted. I'm down to about 1200 now and can see most of the fonts / dingbats I had been looking for! I plan to delete some more of my fonts to bring it down to around the 1000 mark. If anyone know the "magic number" of fonts that will show up in scal... please share :D
wreed06

Post by wreed06 »

If you have Font Book open then start SCAL, so the fonts show up in SCAL?