contact paper to use as vinyl?

For your help and questions
creativemom

contact paper to use as vinyl?

Post by creativemom »

I read once that you can use contact paper to use in the cricut as you would vinyl. Has anyone tried this?
~Lorena~
Visit my crafty blog!
http://istitchit.blogspot.com/
papasue

Re: contact paper to use as vinyl?

Post by papasue »

I have/do use contact paper in my Cricut. I've cut Yard Sale signs, a snowman for my truck and some small flowers for a watering can. I would not put it on a wall as I have tried to peel it off my kitchen shevels and know that it is hard to get off.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
Laurie O

Post by Laurie O »

I have used Contact brand paper with no problem on the walls, I do use a blow dryer to warm up the vinyl before I want to remove it. If there is any residue left behind, I use Undo to remove it. I have had problems with "off brand" shelf paper taking off paint on the wall - now I save that for etching.

Laurie
I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!
www.laurieodesigns.weebly.com
sandyj

Post by sandyj »

I am a contact paper junkie, it is so much cheaper and easier to get (locally) than the 'good stuff'. Make sure you get the repositionable stuff.

I use it only on glass surfaces (windows and ceramic tiles), and I know it leaves a sticky residue on windows, but is easy to wash off. When cutting, use a light touch - pressure 2, blade depth 2 or pressure 3 blade depth 2 works for me. Your machine may vary. But if you are cutting small items and they are scraping up or getting messed up, odds are you are using too much pressure or blade depth.
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Post by Sweetness4713 »

Contact paper is great for making stencils as well when you etch with etching cream.. Not expensive at all.. I buy mine at the dollar store..
scrappinkay

Post by scrappinkay »

i used some dollar tree clear contact paper as transfer paper and it left a residue on the surface of the vinyl. And I did "un-sticky" it a fabric surface, so wasn't so happy with that.
TheLadyWolf
Location: Washington, SAHM, Cricut Expression, SCAL 2.0, Savvy with Inkscape and creating new SVGs

Post by TheLadyWolf »

I can't find my pictures, but if you go to my blog, and click on labels, you may see some of Contact Paper projects I have done. My absolute favorite is "Love" on my foyer mirror. Contact Paper rocks!!!! I can even color it by using permanent pens.
craftylalia

Post by craftylalia »

Yes! You can use contact paper. I used the frosted clear Contact Paper to make an etched design on some glass vases. It looked great. Many people never realized that it wasn't actually etched. I did 14 vases for an event. I'll try to post pictures when they're sent to me.

Tip: Leave the contact paper on the mat while you weed the design and pick it up with transfer tape. The backing is lighter than the vinyl and it doesn't provide much stability. If you've already lifted the design, tape it back down to your work area before working on it. Unlike regular paper, the backing on vinyl and contact paper is waxed so it won't degrade your mat if you leave it there a couple days.
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

lalia,
Where did you get the frosted Contact paper? I bought what I thought was going to be that and it had a diamond type design on it so not what I was looking for.
agcsmom
Location: WI, USA - SCAL 2, Inkscape, XP Pro and Windows 7 Pro I have Illustrator but am not good with it...

Post by agcsmom »

I bought my frosted contact paper at home depot. Not for my cricut.... or so I thought!