card made with SCAL and inkscape

Share your designs and layouts created with Sure Cuts A Lot
susibi

Re: card made with SCAL and inkscape

Post by susibi »

lovely little card - remember that Hello Kitty is a copyrighted image so to avoid any problems should not be shared on public forums, or at least made impossible to copy.
Susibi :D
AnointedHands

Post by AnointedHands »

scrappingmad wrote:Love the card! This is my first post and I have spent hours reading the forum to try to get an answer to my problem. I have a scanned picture of a bag (from a cricut cart which we did in a class) which is a .jpg. I opened it in Inkscape and saved it as an .svg. Problem is it has a black backround which I need to get rid of to import it into SCAL. I have read a lot about tracing designs but can't find any info on how to do it. The same applies with dingbats that I want to use - I can't see them all in SCAL or Inkscape and when I do I need to know how to trace them. Don't want to always be using everyone else's designs - great though they are.

I would appreciate any help on this. Usually pretty good on computers but this is stumping me. Sorry if posted in wrong place.

Sheila
Once you import a shape into SCAL, it should appear as an outline even if it is black in Inkscape. I change colors by selecting the shape and then selecting the color from the row of colors at the bottom of the screen. It does not matter what color you save it, it will appear as an outline in SCAL.

I noticed you opened it in Inkscape but you didn't mentions whether you traced it or not. you have to trace the jpg and then (with the shape still selected) do Path>union. to trace a shape, select it, Path>Trace Bitmap. i always use the upper section Brightness cutoff and set it, starting at 650...always click on Update (under your view of the shape) to see what the trace looks like. Once satisfied, click OK. Delete your original and then click Path>Union. Save and open in SCAL.
Doin the Bug...ain't nothin wrong if you wanna do da Bug all nite long...
TracyDAZ

Post by TracyDAZ »

Re-scan your image with a white background then trace the object. It should work for you.
scrappingmad

Post by scrappingmad »

Thanks - just got back from travelling. Will try those suggestions and see how I get on.
lbreyman

Post by lbreyman »

Very cute! I love hello kitty and so does my daughter.
Laura
jancy

Post by jancy »

cute card!

for those of you that like this character, there is a hello kitty dingbat font on dafont.com :)

it's called Mellow Fonts 1

http://www.dafont.com/mellowfonts1.font?nb_ppp=50
mm2239

Post by mm2239 »

scrappingmad wrote:Thanks Cindy unfortunately that didn't work. It has a black background because I put some black paper behind the template when scanning. When I open it in View mode other than Display normal all I get is a rectangle with a red cross through it and that is in both .jpg and .svg format.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Do you have a graphic/photo editing program like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro? If so, open the .jpg, select the black background and delete it. Then reopen it in Inkscape. If not I would suggest rescanning it without the black paper behind it.

David